Studies on outcomes of omitted decompression - how badly do you get bent for x minutes of skipped deco, aka how risky is a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @Kendall Raine

@inquis is absolutely correct. The deco schedule is from my Teric. The P(DCS) is output from the SAUL planner with a direct ascent from the bottom time, 26, 42, or 50 min. It should be noted that the SAUL planner includes a 3 min safety stop. The risk of DCS is a bit higher than calculated.

The Modern Decompression website and the SAUL planner has been "broken" for a while. @tursiops suppled a link to the planner in a previous thread, Diving with gradient factors for a new recreational diver

The Saul probabilistic decompression algorithm has been discussed several times in The Theoretical Diver cited by @crofrog
The link to a working SAUL is https://web.archive.org/web/20230224024503/http://moderndecompression.com/?page_id=493.

That's a good approach - I know the blog but missed this.

The problem is when everybody around you happens to be obsessed with diving. Things will start to appear much more normal - more so when you see everyone online diving much more extreme dives seemingly every day.

Decompression is also really difficult to visualise. You can get a perception of being very far away from home when at depth (ascent will be long and I do feel far away from home) or when inside a cave (duh). You can experience how far can you swim with couple stages while holding your breath. You can try a bit of zero viz - no mask - 5 degrees stress. You can "enjoy" cold or a leaking drysuit.

You can't try deco ceilings, it's a something a computer tells you to do. On OC I used a mental exercise to compare how long would the deco plan take on back gas (assuming it's unlimited) - it's sobering to see especially when carrying 2 deco gases. I haven't found such model yet on CCR, outside of needing lots of bailout.

Are you raiding my bookshelf :wink: ? I found Under Pressure by Gareth Lock to be really interesting too, and Breakthrough by John Clarke, to keep the list complete.
Good stuff, 👍 there’s a very good one by Martin robson,, between the devil and deep or something like that, which is a bendy tale.

Hi @Kendall Raine

@inquis is absolutely correct. The deco schedule is from my Teric. The P(DCS) is output from the SAUL planner with a direct ascent from the bottom time, 26, 42, or 50 min. It should be noted that the SAUL planner includes a 3 min safety stop. The risk of DCS is a bit higher than calculated.

The Modern Decompression website and the SAUL planner has been "broken" for a while. @tursiops suppled a link to the planner in a previous thread, Diving with gradient factors for a new recreational diver

The Saul probabilistic decompression algorithm has been discussed several times in The Theoretical Diver cited by @crofrog
Thank you. @tursiops provided a link to SAUL and I see where the 1.18% comes from.

@DiveLikeAMuppet

This kind of information is difficult to come by. A simple example, a dive to 100 feet on EAN32. My Teric is set at 80/95. Using the NDL and Deco planner, the NDL is 26 min, a bottom time of 42 min gives 9 min of deco and a dive of 50 min gives 17 min of deco. The probability of DCS, if skipping the deco, can be calculated using the SAUL Recreational Dive Planner, a probabilistic decompression algorithm. Fifty min is the longest time that will be calculated at 100 ft/EAN32. This is a single, clean dive. The type of DCS is not designated.

View attachment 828827
So, taking into account the 3 min safety stop incorporated into the Saul Planner, the 45 min dive to 100 ft on EAN32 is about equivalent to blowing off 10 min of deco time. The 50 min dive is more like skipping about 14 min. Though the risks of DCS are still relatively low with these dives, the risk of DCS with the 45 min dive is a little more than 13 times the risk of a 26 min dive to the NDL. This makes sense to me. About 5% of my dives are light deco, generally with <10 min of deco time, all with <15 min. Interesting to know.

1708980399408.png

Back
Top Bottom