Taxi or shuttle to Radisson Fort George, Belize City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, many places grab a cab, no biggie. But it's always nice to have someone, guaranteed to have a vehicle with room for all that dive gear, waiting with a sign so you don't have to mess around figuring it out when all you want to do is get there and crash. I like the idea of a little extra incentive to arrive early, even if they charged you but would set it up. It's going to depend some on what sort of land support arrangements a boat has in a place. (And we all know whatever the name on the boat, it's usually up to the local owner to do whatever they want.) Some places it's actually crew that runs to the airport to pick you up and they won't be in port yet. (And some places not, maybe because there's a taxi monopoly that says they can't.)

When we did the Atlantis Azores to Tubbataha they did this, arranging things somewhat out of the scope of the airport/departure day/preferred hotel. But Atlantis generally seems to go above and beyond on the logistics stuff. We actually took the free hotel airport shuttle at least one way in Manila, which might not have been the case if we stayed at their preferred hotel. But they had someone meet us at our hotel and make sure we and our bags were on our way to the airport in time. Then they reappeared at the airport and shepherded us through, in the handy way only a local who does this can expedite you through Manila airport without them paying too much attention to what your bags weigh. Mind you, the boat was departing from a different island - the same guy showed up at the Puerto Princessa airport to make sure things were ok and usher us to ground transport. Like a fixer - I think he would have gotten you and your stuff into a cab, chased down missing luggage, or done whatever to make things smooth. It might be enough to make me pick Atlantis Dumaguette over some of the other nice places in Dauin, which I'm sure is the goal. (Probably not enough to make me pick Atlantis Puerto Galera though.)

Yeah, many places grab a cab, no biggie. But it's always nice to have someone, guaranteed to have a vehicle with room for all that dive gear, waiting with a sign so you don't have to mess around figuring it out when all you want to do is get there and crash. I like the idea of a little extra incentive to arrive early, even if they charged you but would set it up. It's going to depend some on what sort of land support arrangements a boat has in a place. (And we all know whatever the name on the boat, it's usually up to the local owner to do whatever they want.) Some places it's actually crew that runs to the airport to pick you up and they won't be in port yet. (And some places not, maybe because there's a taxi monopoly that says they can't.)

When we did the Atlantis Azores to Tubbataha they did this, arranging things somewhat out of the scope of the airport/departure day/preferred hotel. But Atlantis generally seems to go above and beyond on the logistics stuff. We actually took the free hotel airport shuttle at least one way in Manila, which might not have been the case if we stayed at their preferred hotel. But they had someone meet us at our hotel and make sure we and our bags were on our way to the airport in time. Then they reappeared at the airport and shepherded us through, in the handy way only a local who does this can expedite you through Manila airport without them paying too much attention to what your bags weigh. Mind you, the boat was departing from a different island - the same guy showed up at the Puerto Princessa airport to make sure things were ok and usher us to ground transport. Like a fixer - I think he would have gotten you and your stuff into a cab, chased down missing luggage, or done whatever to make things smooth. It might be enough to make me pick Atlantis Dumaguette over some of the other nice places in Dauin, which I'm sure is the goal. (Probably not enough to make me pick Atlantis Puerto Galera though.)
Understood, but this is Belize City - life is very simple there, not much need for concierge service.

The airport does have some overly aggressive baggage people who will grab your bags off of the luggage return and drag them through customs out to the street and dump them once you have given the appropriate tip. Then you hail a cab and they take you to the hotel - about a 20 to 30 minute ride. You will go through the squalor of Belize City so this is your chance to safely sight-see the town.

At the hotel on checkout morning let them know you are going on the LOB and give them your luggage. Sit by the pool and relax. You will find your luggage is on the boat once you are allowed to board.

Ok, this thread has sufficiently scared me such that I’m leaning towards taking the hotel shuttle rather than some random cab despite it costing a tiny bit more.

Cab ~$25
Shuttle = $30 for 2 pax

$5 for peace of mind :D

Here’s the hotel shuttle fares as provided to me by the hotel:

No problem, please find exact rates below:

Philip S. W. Goldson International Airport (PGIA)
During set departure times
One person: $20 each
Two to three persons: $15 each
Four persons or more: $13.50 each
Before 8 a.m. or after 5 p.m. (by request)
One person: $35 each
Two to three persons: $25 each
Four persons or more: $22 each

Take a taxi. It is waiting for you and will go as soon as you climb aboard. How often does the hotel shuttle run?

Take a taxi. It is waiting for you and will go as soon as you climb aboard. How often does the hotel shuttle run?

Not sure. They asked me to email them to book and to get additional details.

Not sure. They asked me to email them to book and to get additional details.
Ask them how often it runs. Maybe once an hour?

Ask them how often it runs. Maybe once an hour?
If we arrive on Saturday we take the LOB shuttle. Which sometimes is a stupid decision. We have waited on the curb for more than an hour for slow passengers and/or later planes to show up.

If you are before boat boarding time the LOB shuttle will dump you at the hotel pool to wait, which is way nicer than the curb at the airport.

When we arrive on other days we zip to the hotel in a taxi.

I forget, is the LOV shuttle free?

If we arrive on Saturday we take the LOB shuttle. Which sometimes is a stupid decision. We have waited on the curb for more than an hour for slow passengers and/or later planes to show up.

If you are before boat boarding time the LOB shuttle will dump you at the hotel pool to wait, which is way nicer than the curb at the airport.

When we arrive on other days we zip to the hotel in a taxi.

I forget, is the LOV shuttle free?

Yes, the LOB shuttle is included.

All this talk and excitement about getting there...

Does no one care about getting back to the airport when it is over?

Back
Top Bottom