Taxi or shuttle to Radisson Fort George, Belize City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I eat at the bar at FG. Gilbert mixes a small but good margarita. And the food is ok. There's also a place that is left/North along the waterfront about a half mile. I can't remember the nAme of it, but it's across the road from the water. It was ok, too .

Edit: the name is "Celebrity".

Edit again: I tried the p!ace behind FG. It was not good the night we went.
Agreed. I always default to diss hotel food. Sometimes that is wrong. So on my direction we have always wandered across the street to the restaurant behind the hotel. We keep forgetting that it is not very good. Must remember this...

We have eaten breakfast in the hotel and lunch at the bar upstairs and by the pool. They were all just fine. No food poison. Fully adequate.

Agreed. I always default to diss hotel food. Sometimes that is wrong. So on my direction we have always wandered across the street to the restaurant behind the hotel. We keep forgetting that it is not very good. Must remember this...

We have eaten breakfast in the hotel and lunch at the bar upstairs and by the pool. They were all just fine. No food poison. Fully adequate.
And now that we are on the food topic (one of my favs), hopefully you will have chef Jerry during your week. He is a bit (well a lot) shy but very knowledgeable and extremely competent as a chef. We have had many interesting recipe and food prep conversations with him.

Our first wake up call to his skill was when his carrots had a very intriguing bitter sweet taste. I accused him of rinsing them in carrot juice just before serving. He did. Great interesting food.

Reactions: gbf
Yup, we’re arriving a day before and staying at the Radisson Fort George.
Thanks for the post @Dogbowl - was wondering about this myself and now I know. We land on 4/20 and board the BA3 on 4/21 for the 4/21 to 4/28 trip.

Thanks for the post @Dogbowl - was wondering about this myself and now I know. We land on 4/20 and board the BA3 on 4/21 for the 4/21 to 4/28 trip.

@Trailboss123 , looks like we’re just going to miss each other again! We’ll be off the yacht early in the morning and headed directly for the airport on 4/21. :D

I usually stay at The Great House when I stay in Belize City, which is right across the street from the Radisson proper and next door to the annex. They have an outdoor restaurant in what would be the side yard, assuming it's still there, called The Smoky Mermaid. Food is only ok but the ambiance is fantastic, much better than the Ft George bar/restaurant. But if you eat there, just order simple, something like a sandwich. Don't go for anything too fancy. They do have a good eggs and bacon type breakfast, too.

You'll be plenty safe at the Ft George. Just don't venture out at night beyond the hotel grounds, which you probably wouldn't want to do anyway after you get a look at BZ City on your drive in, lol.

Because of my return flight schedule this year, I'm going to have to stay in BZ City the night before I fly home. This time, I'm going to try the Villa Boscardi. Wouldn't work as well the TGH or the Ft George for the liveaboard crowd, though. But it's closer to the airport. I was originally going to stay at the Black Orchid but it's booked.

Just a thought, but when I was on the BA3 several years ago, they had a rep meet us at the airport and take us to the boat. With some prior arrangement, could they not pick you up at the airport on the day that you arrive and take you to your hotel and then pick you up at the hotel to take you to the boat on the Saturday? (FWIW, the Aquacat did exactly this for me last fall when I flew into Nassau a few days early. There was a nominal charge, but everything was arranged through the boat.)

@Dogbowl, it may be worth it to ask them this question if you are going to the Outdoor Adventure show this weekend.

Just a thought, but when I was on the BA3 several years ago, they had a rep meet us at the airport and take us to the boat. With some prior arrangement, could they not pick you up at the airport on the day that you arrive and take you to your hotel and then pick you up at the hotel to take you to the boat on the Saturday? (FWIW, the Aquacat did exactly this for me last fall when I flew into Nassau a few days early. There was a nominal charge, but everything was arranged through the boat.)

@Dogbowl, it may be worth it to ask them this question if you are going to the Outdoor Adventure show this weekend.
I will double check, but I am pretty sure that they only provide transportation on Saturday. If you arrive a day early, then you are on your own to get to your hotel.

I will double check, but I am pretty sure that they only provide transportation on Saturday. If you arrive a day early, then you are on your own to get to your hotel.

That is also my understanding.

I think it's smart to get there a day early. Flights can be delayed or, even worse, missed, and that could potentially be a disaster when catching a liveaboard.

When we stayed at Turneffe Island Lodge/Resort years ago, they highly recommended arriving a day early because if we missed the transfer boat to the caye then we were on our own and would have to hire our own boat or helicopter. Not cheap.

The second time we went, they actually held the boat up for about a half hour because some folks were coming in that day from LA and their flight was late. The captain told us that if they had been five minutes later, we would have left without them.

I get it might be a bit of hassle/cost doing transfers on Friday, but in the long run, it might make their life easier to incentivize folks arriving a day early. Might be much to do about nothing as it's a drop in the bucket to take a cab or group up for cabs at the airport, but it might also be just the kind of promotional thing an LOB company might go for. :idk:

Back
Top Bottom