Tank heat wrap, good or bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clammy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I used one of these scuba hide clear heat wraps to wrap my steel tank to protect some stickers.

Does anyone think this is a bad idea? I'm a little afraid that water will sit between the wrap and the tank and "hurt" the tank. Has anyone used these and had any problems?

one thing more to consider .. you will have to remove it and any stickers (or the shop should) when you have the tank visually inspected
It is why the scuba hide is not permanent, not stuck on, but shrink wrapped .,. read this ... ScubaSkins: How do they Work?

Yes, I know I have to remove it and reapply later, but between that time, I'm hoping that it won't hurt the tank.

It says that it could be detrimental but doesn't appear to pose a safety risk x_X. So it's unsafe while it's on but it's safe when it gets taken off and inspected?!

It says ... "it does not appear to retain significant amounts of water that could be detrimental to the cylinder between inspections"
and ... read the last paragraph too

in the end, it's up to you if it's worth doing for a year at a time
.. me? I just used a sharpy to put my Hellfish logo on my tank

It is inevitable that it will get damaged and become a collection point for corrosive residue, especially with salt water use. The crap that happens under a compromised paint finish is bad enough. Material will be trapped in blind spaces that cannot be rinsed away.

IMO this is not a question about the product, the whole concept is a bad idea.

Cosmetic embellishment of working dive cylinders is futile.

Pete

It is inevitable that it will get damaged and become a collection point for corrosive residue, especially with salt water use. The crap that happens under a compromised paint finish is bad enough. Material will be trapped in blind spaces that cannot be rinsed away.

IMO this is not a question about the product, the whole concept is a bad idea.

Cosmetic embellishment of working dive cylinders is futile.

Pete

Ive got 3AL80s that were pitted from the saltwater intrusion, an will never put that on any of my other tanks.

It suffers from the same basic problem that the older vinyl coated ungalvanized steel 72's sufferred from - the coating gets damaged and water and salt gets caught underneath leading to corroision.

In short it is a great idea if your tank sits in the closet and never gets wet, but otherwise I'd avoid it like the plauge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom