Tank heat wrap, good or bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just because someone sells a product doesn't mean it's a good idea. At best I'd consider it a waste of money.

Pete says it best - "Cosmetic embellishment of working dive cylinders is futile."

A good rinsing will do more for your cylinders than wrapping. Yeah, it is fun to have nice looking cylinders. The first day I went out with my new doubles the Oxyhacker stickers got trashed. Oh well, I will replace them later this spring with its viz.

It says ... "it does not appear to retain significant amounts of water that could be detrimental to the cylinder between inspections"
and ... read the last paragraph too

in the end, it's up to you if it's worth doing for a year at a time
.. me? I just used a sharpy to put my Hellfish logo on my tank

Ahhh! Amazing how missing one little 3 letter word can reek havoc on what I think of a product! HA HA

I actually just put one on, really only on half of my tank to seal up a large sticker. Since the steel tank has a rough surface, I can see where air bubbles and water can be trapped. I fully intend to remove it for vis but I guess I'll also be able to see when copious amounts of water is trapped and I'll just poke a hole or something. I just wanted to make sure the sticker stayed on.

Just to clarify, I'm not getting a full hide. I only got the clear wrap, cut it to a quarter size of the tank, and just covered a sticker over. It's clear so I can see if water gets trapped. Maybe I should be more concerned about the sticker?

What do you guys think of large stickers on tanks?

[-]Heat treatments can damage the cylinder and cause it to be condemed.[/-]

Oops, just read that the heat is from a hair dryer!

Heat treatments can damage the cylinder and cause it to be condemed.

I used a blow dryer and I was concerned about the heat as well. However, it didn't even get hot enough for it to be uncomfortable while my hand was sitting on the wrap to straighten it as it began to shrink and the second I took the dryer of a spot, it would cool instantly to the temp of the rest of the tank again.

Love the stickers! Just ordered a BOAT load of them! I know all my friends will want them too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom