Tank heat wrap, good or bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Galvanized steel would fare better under the wrap than painted aluminum. Putting a wrap over chipped paint on an AL tank or over a brushed aluminum tank is asking for trouble.

------

A hair dryer will not harm a steel or Al tank -the critical temperature for a T6 heat treated AL tank is around 325 degrees. Above that it will go soft. For a steel tank you'd have to get it cherry red before it becomes an issue.

What you want to avoid with an AL tank are high temperature heat guns and high temperature paint booths. The average auto body paint booth is fine as the temp should not exceed 140 degrees.

It's galvanized steel, so I know I don't need one for any sort of protective covering. I just use it to protect a sticker I put on there.

The point I was making about the steel is that if you a "chink" in the galvanizing the skit will trap the water in there for some period of time and may promote corrosion, rusting etc.

I own three sets of steel tanks (mine, wife's and daughter's) and there is no wrap or netting on these tanks whatsoever.

When I owned aluminum tanks I had the plastic netting on them to help prevent them from getting scratched or gouged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom