Tank explosion - San Pedro Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterbj7

Dive Shop Owner
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Breaking news that a compressor operator at Amigos del Mar dive shop was killed this afternoon when a tank he was filling exploded. More news as it comes.

Condolences to the family and friends. It would be interesting to see if it was a 6351 aluminum tank

7 News Belize

http://www.sanpedrosun.com/accident...side-tank-compression-unit-leaves-1-man-dead/

---------- Post Merged at 07:09 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:02 AM ----------

Although the Sun reports "The explosion was apparently caused after a tank filled with compressed oxygen blew up and fatally injured Duran, who was servicing the air tanks," it would be premature to presume the tank was actually being filled with anything other than compressed air. The press is infamous for getting this wrong.

I'm sure it was a standard aluminum "80" being filled with air. I don't know what make the tank was nor its testing record. Hopefully all that will come out in due course. I sold quite a few tanks to the operator so in a way I have a horse in this race.

The deceased has been named as Hector 'Chapin' Duran. I don't know any more at the moment.

Ambergris Today | Stories | Fatal Dive Tank Explosion at Amigos Del Mar

The island community of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, is in shock this evening as a very rare and tragic accident took the life of a dive master at the Amigos del Mar Dive Center after an explosion occurred inside the tank compressing unit located inside the dive shop.
The explosion that occurred at around 4:30p.m. on Monday, October 08, 2012, was heard in various area around town and shook buildings close to the dive shop. The accident which is rarely unheard of, took the life of Hector Duran, an employee of Amigos del Mar who operates the tank compression unit.
Duran was filling dive tanks at the dive shop when one of the tanks exploded, causing him to receive serious and fatal injuries to the body. The fire department and medical personnel were at the scene after which the body was immediately transported to Belize City for a post mortem.
More details will be posted as they become available

Any idea whether there was any burning or charring at the top of the tank? If no, probably compressed air. If there was some charring, then it may be an oxygen accident.

SeaRat

Any idea whether there was any burning or charring at the top of the tank? If no, probably compressed air. If there was some charring, then it may be an oxygen accident.

SeaRat

Can't see the top, but none obvious in this pic.

Duran-Accident-6-300x220.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom