Solo trip to Belize in November - any shop recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent plan! I wish you fair winds and following seas.

Are you planning to do the ATM cave daytrip? One of my other favourite adventures!
I'm staying at Caves Branch and doing their waterfall tour (climb 5 waterfalls then get to jump off them on the way back), the 7 mile cave tubing tour and a visit to the Mayan ruins.

I really enjoyed my trip inland both times I visited Belize. I’m not much for tubing or jumping off waterfalls, but I hiked solo around the Cockscomb Jaguar Preserve and the jungle was amazing. I’ve also really enjoyed exploring Xunantunich and Chal Pec Mayan temples (sorry for spelling errors). It sounds like you have an awesome trip lined up! Belize is an amazing country.

In the end I went with Belize Pro Dive Center, Chuck and Robby's and Island Divers. All had great services but I will still rank them as they are listed. Next time I go I plan to try Elite and Ramon's as well.

Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate for my dives so I only got 6 in when I had planned for 12-15. Some days waves were 3-5 feet and my nausea meds didn't work so well! Vis was about 60 ft or so and all of the dive masters apologized! They said it is normally 80-100 feet. I plan to go back next year at a different time of year. I usually have pretty good luck during shoulder seasons but not this time.

I used Ramon's Village out of San Pedro when we were on Ambergris (June 2023). It's a good operation, but large (12 divers per boat). Nitrox was available, but only 32. We had a very different experience with Frenchies on Ceye Caulker with at most 4 divers on our boat and no Nitrox.

I used Ramon's Village out of San Pedro when we were on Ambergris (June 2023). It's a good operation, but large (12 divers per boat). Nitrox was available, but only 32. We had a very different experience with Frenchies on Ceye Caulker with at most 4 divers on our boat and no Nitrox.
From what I understand, only Ramon's and BPDC have nitrox, everyone else has to buy it from them. I had the feeling Ramon's was a very resort dive type operation, maybe catering to those with less experience. I still wanted to check them out though. I try to dive Nitrox whenever possible, 32 is OK with me for most dives.

I'm just curious. Why do you say "only 32". Is there a reason that you'd want a different mix?

I'm just curious. Why do you say "only 32". Is there a reason that you'd want a different mix?
Above 90' EAN36 works pretty well. I've only ever seen it at one tropical dive op though.

Just trying to provide complete info.
Also, I do not have my own O2 meter, and was told that they had one on the boat. When it came time to measure my tank they didn't have the meter. Their excuse was "We only blend 32, so you don't need to measure it...".

Also, I do not have my own O2 meter, and was told that they had one on the boat. When it came time to measure my tank they didn't have the meter. Their excuse was "We only blend 32, so you don't need to measure it...".
I would be appalled if a DM/dive shop said that to me. It would seriously make me cancel the dive immediately. All of the shops I dove with made a point of having me watch them check it with their meter. I ended up checking it with my own meter as well after about 30 minutes. If you dive Nitrox with any regularity, I highly recommend getting your own meter.

Yes, I've had that uncomfortable/aggravating conversation myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom