Solo trip to Belize in November - any shop recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there recently and stayed at Ramon's Village so I went out with them. Very happy with the dive operations. I did the Blue Hole which is just kind of a bucket list dive due to its short duration. However, they had two other dives on this trip on the way back. Half Moon Caye (lunch on the island) and Long Caye. Those were great dives and well worth the trip

I was there recently and stayed at Ramon's Village so I went out with them. Very happy with the dive operations. I did the Blue Hole which is just kind of a bucket list dive due to its short duration. However, they had two other dives on this trip on the way back. Half Moon Caye (lunch on the island) and Long Caye. Those were great dives and well worth the trip
Exactly! The other two dives and lunch on Halfmoon Caye (my happy place), makes for one heck of a great day.

I agree with going to Blue Hole daytrip with Amigos del Mar.

It is very likely that Chuck and Robbie's (near to Blue Tang Inn) and Reef Dive Adventures, right on the dock in front of Blue Tang Adventures, will send you on Amigos boat, even if you do all of your other diving with either of them.

Be that as it may, Amigos is an easy walk from Blue Tang, and you can check out their overall operation yourself.

If you will still be daily diving once moved down to Xanadu, whichever dive op you are using will pick you up and drop you off, at dock closest to Xanadu (sorry, can't recall off top of my head whether or not Xanadu has a dock right there but I'd be very very surprised if they don't!

While you are down at Xanadu (which I'm sure that you will love, wander down to check out Mata Rocks Resort too. Have a drink at their Squirrel Bar and get them to show you a couple of their rooms.

You have picked 2 of my favourite hotels in San Pedro.

If you have a day free, take the water taxi over to Caye Caulker. Who knows, you may much prefer the more quiet, slow pace on that island.

Xanadu definitely has a dock, we took a boat out and went fishing from there a few times. My wife’s cousins husbands family owns Xanadu.

Doing the Blue Hole dive once can leave a diver feeling amazed. Another diver may be left feeling 😕.

I've been in the Blue Hole at least a dozen times, not because I love the dive so much, but because I love the whole day so much!

And the more familiar that I became with the Blue Hole dive, the more things about that I've been able to notice.

What would be truly great to me would be a 3 tank day trip that supplied 2 dives at Halfmoon wall or Aquarium. But I'm not going to get that trip because it doesn't exist. 😄

I looked in to Aggressor first but I begged off after seeing the "Solo Diver Surcharge". $5800 for 7 days was expensive, but I was willing to do it until I saw that they charge a 60% surcharge because I was going to be by myself. No options to try to pair me with another diver. $10,000 for a week? I figured I could find better options...and I did.
You only have to pay a "solo diver surcharge" if you want to reserve a cabin for yourself. Otherwise, you just pay the standard rate and have a roomie for a week. If there are unfilled spaces when the boat sails, singles will get moved around to be by themselves anyway. I'm not sure where you got the $5800 figure either--the shared cabins are $3400 for the week. (I just looked at the Aggressor site and there are multiple openings at that price most weeks in November on both boats.)

You only have to pay a "solo diver surcharge" if you want to reserve a cabin for yourself. Otherwise, you just pay the standard rate and have a roomie for a week. If there are unfilled spaces when the boat sails, singles will get moved around to be by themselves anyway. I'm not sure where you got the $5800 figure either--the shared cabins are $3400 for the week. (I just looked at the Aggressor site and there are multiple openings at that price most weeks in November on both boats.)
That was in an email from them. I asked about pairing up but they said it wasn't available. Wonder if I got someone new? Either way, it's too late now. I've already planned the trip for some jungle time, which I wanted to do as well. I'll look into the liveaboard again next time.

That was in an email from them. I asked about pairing up but they said it wasn't available. Wonder if I got someone new? Either way, it's too late now. I've already planned the trip for some jungle time, which I wanted to do as well. I'll look into the liveaboard again next time.
Very strange. I’ve booked 15 trips with them as a single traveler and a solo surcharge has never been mentioned. When you book as a single online you are presented with a list of the cabins that are either empty or have another diver of the same sex in the other bunk/bed.

Very strange. I’ve booked 15 trips with them as a single traveler and a solo surcharge has never been mentioned. When you book as a single online you are presented with a list of the cabins which are either empty or have another diver of the same sex in the other bunk/bed.
That is weird. I guess I should have just tried to book it rather than emailing to ask questions.

And you were right. I just went on their site and pretended I was booking it. Seems I could have booked a single. Oh well, I wouldn’t have been able to do the jungle portion so this will still be good. I’m doing the full day to Blue Hole and a different day to Turneffe. Still some good diving I hope!

That is weird. I guess I should have just tried to book it rather than emailing to ask questions.

And you were right. I just went on their site and pretended I was booking it. Seems I could have booked a single. Oh well, I wouldn’t have been able to do the jungle portion so this will still be good. I’m doing the full day to Blue Hole and a different day to Turneffe. Still some good diving I hope!
Excellent plan! I wish you fair winds and following seas.

Are you planning to do the ATM cave daytrip? One of my other favourite adventures!

Back
Top Bottom