Question Stretch &/or Trim Latex Neck Seal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
As a new owner of a drysuit with a latex neck seal. I’ve been advised to both stretch and then trim my neck seal without a great level of detail.

I’ve seen one SB posting recommending only stretching…….. I can rationalize stretching only, if you aren’t literally choking yourself.

I’m wondering how to find that sweet spot where stretch some and minimally trim a little which will give one the optimum sealing and comfort with time.

Anyone have any more definitive method to get to this optimum spot?

(Something like this proposed approach seems logical to this engineer: stretch the neck seal 15% greater circumference than one’s neck for 24 hours and try on the suit. If you’re not choked, you’re all set. If it really chokes you, trim the neck rim down one ring, check the fit again. Repeat as needed.)

Probably a good guide, latex will stretch out over time so if you trim to much it will get loose sooner, it’s easy to trim since unlike silicone there is a lot of inherent strength and tear resistance in latex.

They are correct. If you trim a new latex seal to fit, it will leak later once it stretches. Find something similar in size to your neck diameter, it doesn't have to be round. 2 liter bottle, scuba tank, bleach bottle, whatever you have.
Stick it in the neck seal and leave it for a few days to a week. After that, trim it to fit your neck.

I found a 40cu ft tank is slightly bigger than my neck. I put a plastic bag over it and it slide very easily thru my neck seal. After 24 hours I took the tank out and tried on the suit. I thought I’d choke… and my face stayed red.

My one data point.

I’m wondering how to find that sweet spot where stretch some and minimally trim a little which will give one the optimum sealing and comfort with time.

Anyone have any more definitive method to get to this optimum spot?

The "sweet spot" is installing a Si-Tech neck ring system in your suit and switching to a silicone neck seal. Silicone seals are stretchier and hence more comfortable. The neck ring system allows for quick and easy seal changes should your neck seal ever become compromised...its not a good day when your split a glued in latex neck seal when donning your suit after driving however many miles to a dive site...with a spare seal in your save-a-dive kit you can have your suit back in dive-ready shape in mere minutes should you suffer a seal casualty.

-Z

I slide a new neck seal over an aluminum 80 and leave if for a week or two, then I go diving. Been doing this for years without trimming at all. I recently found that this was now too tight and trimmed one ring off the seal after trying for a several months and it still being too tight.

I slide a new neck seal over an aluminum 80 and leave if for a week or two, then I go diving. Been doing this for years without trimming at all. I recently found that this was now too tight and trimmed one ring off the seal after trying for a several months and it still being too tight.
@Dsix36 That’s an interesting approach. Are your neck seals latex and are they glued-on or replaceable?

In thinking about the stretching of the neck seal, by far the greatest amount of stretch (elongation) of the neck seal is putting it over one’s head which is the same size as a aluminum 80 tank….. the same as you use for stretching.

They are standard latex seals and not the heavy duty ones. They are glued on.

The "sweet spot" is installing a Si-Tech neck ring system in your suit and switching to a silicone neck seal. Silicone seals are stretchier and hence more comfortable. The neck ring system allows for quick and easy seal changes should your neck seal ever become compromised...its not a good day when your split a glued in latex neck seal when donning your suit after driving however many miles to a dive site...with a spare seal in your save-a-dive kit you can have your suit back in dive-ready shape in mere minutes should you suffer a seal casualty.

-Z
To add to this - latex neck seals are also made for Si-Tech neck rings systems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom