Replaced Latex Drysuit neck seal with Si-Tech Quick Neck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hollywood703

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For anyone looking to replace your neck seal on your drysuit but have been nervous to do so, this is for you. I was in the same situation, and the repair shop said it would be 6-8 weeks to get it back as they ship out. I want to get a few more dives in this year so I decided to do it myself. In retrospect it was way easier than I had it in my mind. The biggest headache was removing the old latex seal as my old one disintegrated so I needed to remove it all the way down to the original material. This was tedious and time consuming to not damage the suit. I ordered the contact cement and aqua seal from Dive Right in scuba and they were very helpful in the process for my specific suit. After I was satisfied that the old seal was removed and the old glue was very minimal I started the process of the new quick neck install. The process would be the same for a new latex seal as well. I did 3 coats on each piece waiting 15 minutes between coats. After the last coat I waited the 5 minutes and slowly lined up the 2 pieces. I had layed out the suit so the neck area was perfectly flat making the install a lot easier. I started at the front of the neck and worked my way around pressing firmly and overlapping pressure until I was all the way around. I then went around again with heavy pressure to ensure a good bond. I allowed it to cure 24 hours untouched, I had some light separation spots around a few of the very edges where I didn't have glue enough at the edges but this was corrected with the edge being completely sealed with Aqua seal FD. I chose not to use the Cutol as I had the time to let it cure properly and I wanted it to be more pliable when finished. I did a leak test and found no air leaks when pressurized so am good to go. Although I could have taped off the aqua seal to have a more uniform overlap, it is purely cosmetic and happy with how it turned out. The fish wont mind anyway.

I spent around $30 in the cement/glue and still have enough to do atleast 2 more seals if needed. The price for the install via a shop was $130 plus shipping costs. I believe if you have some patience that anyone can do this themselves. If you want to do it yourselves, I do recommend getting your stuff from Dive Right In Scuba as you can contact their repair team and they will tell you the exact process they would use for your type of material.

Was using the heat activated seal tape an option with your suit?

It was, but you still need to use the glue as a base due to mine being a bi-laminate so I would have had to still buy that.

I have also found that drysuit repair is not anywhere near as hard as it's made out to be. More prep then anything. Do you have any pics of the finished product?

I've been thinking of swapping out my neck seal for the quick neck, but I have a neo suit and it would take a good bit of alterations to the collar bone area to widen the hole for the quick neck. And since it works as is, I've just left it. Maybe when it breaks.

I have also found that drysuit repair is not anywhere near as hard as it's made out to be. More prep then anything. Do you have any pics of the finished product?

I've been thinking of swapping out my neck seal for the quick neck, but I have a neo suit and it would take a good bit of alterations to the collar bone area to widen the hole for the quick neck. And since it works as is, I've just left it. Maybe when it breaks.
Why would you need to widen the hole? I don’t think the overlap would affect diving. The problem is if the hole were too large.

20220903_175417.jpg

As you can see from second picture it is a tight fit to the seal. The reason is i had to trim back about 1/4 inch of the suit neck area all the way around to be able to gain full access to the deal ring channel. I took a brand new sharp razorblade and just ran it slowly around the ring channel as a guide. I was very nervous about this part but was actually the easiest. I did this after the glue had cured completely so it wouldnt move.
20220903_175459.jpg

Why would you need to widen the hole? I don’t think the overlap would affect diving. The problem is if the hole were too large.

On his pictures my suit would come to just about where it says Siflex. I have a quick neck that I've put inside the suit and really looked at it... it would have to cut a good bit to access the groove.

Nice job - I'm contemplating doing the same thing instead of just replacing my failing latex seal.

Did you really need to cut away material to expose the sealing ring on the inside, or could you have lifted the drysuit material out of the way as you went around the circle? Replacing a seal would be a PITA, but do you think it would have been possible?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom