trimming neoprene neck seal on dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
happy easter everyone

sorry for what i am sure will be considered by many to be a stupid question.

i picked up a used dry suit. it has a neoprene neck seal. my last suit had a latex seal.

the neoprene neck is too tight. i know the latex seals can be trimmed. when you cut along the ribbed lines on a latex seal you can make the latex seal slightly larger with each line you cut.

this neoprene seal also has lines marked on it. but i am unsure if trimming the seal along these lines will actually make it larger or will trimming it along these lines only make it shorter.

can anyone clarify this pls

thx
rick

Rick...

Most latex neck/wrist seals are what's commonly referred to as ''bottle neck''...

By trimming the seal you will both shorten and widen...depending on the bottle neck taper...

Be careful cutting because you can't go back...

Do not use scissors...carefully stretch the seal over a clean AL 80 cylinder...pick your desired ''trim line''...using the narrowest masking tape you can find...I use pin striping masking tape...it's approx. 3/16'' wide...mask around your chosen line...and with a brand new utility knife blade...follow around the top of the masking tape continuously without stopping...cutting though the seal...stopping just past your starting point...

Put a few layers of waxed paper under the cylinder...making sure first before cutting that you can turn the cylinder freely...without it getting caught or binding on the surface the cylinder is standing on...

You will finish with a smooth/clean/straight cut with no ''stop'' or jagged edges that may cause a future tear...

If you are going to cut two or three lines down from the existing top line...do a higher practice cut first...

If you're not sure how far down you should cut...cut only one line at at time...and test fit for comfort...

Aways use a new cutting blade for each cut...and use an aluminum cylinder...steel cylinders are too hard...and will rapidly dull the blade...a brand new blade is not a used break-a-way blade with the dull end snapped off...but...''a brand new blade''...this is very important...and don't cut with the point of the blade...cut with the edge...using the point will pull on the latex...

Hope this helps...and Happy Easter...

Warren

that is a very helpful reply for anyone asking about latex seals. i will keep for future reference.

in this case however, i am asking about neoprene neck seals.

"......this neoprene seal also has lines marked on it. but i am unsure if trimming the seal along these lines will actually make it larger or will trimming it along these lines only make it shorter."

thx
rick

Rick...

Sorry...you did say neoprene...

Most neoprene neck seals have the glide skin on the outside and are intended to be folded under...

Little to no taper in neoprene neck seals...neoprene wrist seals do taper a bit...shortening it will not likely open the circumference enough to make it comfortable...take a quick measurement...either by circumference...or the diameter with the seal folded down...

Suggest the neck seal circumference is too small for your neck size and may have to be replaced...

Steve Gamble in Florida is in my opinion the best dry-suit tech in the country...

gamblescuba.com

He's just moved to a new facility...great factory authorized work...quick turnaround...

Best...

Warren

My drysuit course taught that you are supposed to stretch neoprene over a tank or inflatable ball. Worth a try if the other option is replacement.

Latex seals are to be cut and Neoprene ones to be stretched. That is what I was taught.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom