Neck seal anxiety - ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mc42

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know a diver who found the standard neck seal claustrophobic and anxiety-inducing when she tried diving with a properly-adjusted neck seal and standard (wet) hood in PNW waters.

I'm investigating whether a dry hood setup (e.g. a full latex hood) is a viable option to get around the neck seal problem. The suit I have available is an AL Fusion with the Sitech removable neck system, so it could be the test platform. The other consideration is of course head warmth.

I've gotten some ideas from fully sealed suits like Viking's that have several dry hood options ranging from latex to neoprene. Many of the options like neoprene dry hoods appear to be directly attached to their dry suits unfortunately.

One idea I've been thinking about is using a standard latex hood with either no internal neck seal, or one that is trimmed down significantly. My question would be if the additional neck seal inside the hood is required, or if the suit be dived fine without the seal. Obviously with the understanding that any leaks past the face will get through unhindered into the suit if there is no neck seal as a backup. I'm hoping that with a good, soft face seal, any water getting through will be minimal. An extra neoprene hood over top of the latex hood would complete the warmth, plus the usual beanie under the latex hood.

Are there any other ideas or potential solutions that anybody else has tried or are on the market? I'm thinking about things like a bibbed neoprene hood with an enlarged neck seal (like a wetsuit setup), directly gluing a neoprene hood onto latex neck seals to create a single-piece item, a beanie + latex hood + outer neoprene hood, etc.

A wetsuit is obviously an option that I have as a last resort.

Before going to all that trouble and expense, maybe try a couple of pool sessions with standard gear first? The anxiety may dissipate with familiarity.

Start without the hood and add it if/when she feels truly comfortable with the neck seal alone.

I had a HORRIBLE time with latex neck seals. I can't stand anything around my neck including collars and ties. I switched to a neoprene neck seal on my DUI dry suit from a latex rubber seal on my Viking dry suit. Although I still didn't care for the neck seal it was way better than the latex. I tried everything with that latex seal and it always felt like I was being choked out. I remember using a football with the neoprene seal to take some of the neck tightness away

You mentioned a standard wet hood. Did it have a bib? I don’t like stuff around my neck either, so I’ve always dived with a BIBLESS hood. I also use silicone seals. Had to use a latex seal for about a year and it was horrid.

I’d suggest trying a bibless hood in the pool first.

I second @gqllc007 above try a neoprene neck seal. Although I currently dive with a latex seal, when I've tried Neoprene they were far more comfortable and less claustrophobic feeling.

Or perhaps a somewhat too loose latex seal tightened up with a elastic cinch strap or some electrical tape which I often see done on rental suits.

Even with the hood attached, you’ll need a short neoprene neck seal, air gathers in the hood. You’ll get wet if you need to dump it.

Back
Top Bottom