SR1 blowing up problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i'm glad everything is working out for the best.
I to have many sherwood products and very happy with everything and my next item was going to be the SR-1 reg, but started to get my douts after beginning to read this post but my douts are gone now after seeing the great costumer service delivered and good testimonials from users with problem fixed.

Custumer service rocks Thumbs up to sherwood

Very disappointed to see this thread and to now be part of it as well. I have had the SR-1 now for 6 months. This is my second one though. The first one the diaphragm seal popped on the boat. No physical outside damage and I dove with it anyway, not really knowing what was going on. I returned that one back to my LDS and got a brand new one that day. That was 3 months ago...

Now my new one wanted to pop again, this time extremely. I had completed my first dive and was all geared up for my second. I turned the tank valve on and the WHOLE seal, top rubber peice and all expanded like a balloon about an inch high. I shut the valve off quickly because it looked like it was going to explode. I tried again, turning the valve on while purging the regulator...same thing...a third time without purging...same thing...it just wanted to pop and explode and i shut the valve off every time to stop it. Had to cancel my dive...

As of right now it's at the shop. I'm supposed to call Tuesday to see what's the problem. To be honest with you, my faith in it has really died. I don't know anymore, I loved how it performed but I can't keep doing this. I have a Sherwood Brut on my pony, a Sherwood Wisdom computer, Sherwood Kinesis fins, so I have nothing against the company...but I'm really looking into the Mares Abyss 42 and 22 now.

I mean sure parts are warrantied for life but not labor...so sure Sherwood will give me the $1.00 rubber diaphragm for free to replace but I have to pay the $70-$80 dollar labor costs each time to fix it? No way...Sherwood needs to put a better warranty on this or the SR-1 is done.

And this is happening on only 1% of the SR-1's built? Something tells me that number is skewed...what am I getting all the 1%'s? If I'm to keep this regulator Sherwood needs to give me peice of mind on this $600 regulator...

As of now I believe my local dive shop is willing to exchange it for me for an Abyss. Or I can get a new SR-1 and try again...but I'm scared now because if this happens A THIRD TIME a year from now I won't have that option of simply exchanging it for another brand, I'll be stuck with it...I'm stuck in a crossroads worth $600 and my safety and I don't know what to do...

Sincerely,
-Confused & Frustrated:depressed:

I have made about 10 dives with my sr1's. I have them on my twins and yesterday I was getting ready to get in the water and I had both of them break the rubber on the top but air just kept coming out of them making a whistling noise. My dive shop called the sherwood rep and he said that was not normal for that to happen. I think I could have figured that one out but he did go on to say they usually just break the rubber seal and should be fine. No way your getting me to make a dive down to 150' with regs I just saw pop. I live in Odessa,tx and I purchased these regs in Lubbock,tx.

Nate

Sorry to hear that. An update on my story...I decided to go with the new redesigned Mares Abyss 22T. Works great. Will admit does not breath as easily as the SR1 but it's reliable and excellent nonetheless. I had to pay $100 more for the price difference on the return but I'm glad I did. I love Sherwood but just not the SR1's mishap.

As the Sherwood rep stated in previous posts that the problem was a manufacturing problem not a design problem. I would assume therefore that your reg that blew was one of those that was in the first production ie: the 1c series before Sherwood corrected this manufacturing problem? Just curious but what is the serial # on your regs that blew?

I'm not 100% positive, but I am pretty sure that they were C's. Both of them. I bought them when they first came out around January. But even so I just didn't want to take my chances with D's, E's, F's or anything else. I can tell you this though, the Sherwood SR1 does breathe a little easier than the Mares Abyss 22T. But barely noticable. The SR1 delivers and pushes air into your mouth. Again it was a great regulator, I just didn't want to deal with all the hassles. Maybe when I go doubles, I'll have an Abyss on one and an SR1 on the other :D

Ok I got my SR1's back and looked at the serial number. They both start with 1E. I put everything back together and put some pressure on them and they seemed to work better. The Enviromental seal didn't bulge out or anything. I'm diving with them this weekend so I'll find out real soon if they are good to go.

Keep everyone posted. I am sure that there are a few of us keeping an eye on this thread in anticipation.

I bought a SR1 and used it for my OW check-out dives. Went down to a maximum of 50' and didn't encounter any problems. The s/n starts with 1E. It breaths really easy, better than the LDS one i used for pool training. I will keep an eye on it and report back any anomolyes which make occur.

Back
Top Bottom