SR1 blowing up problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not be too quick to blame the dealers, the magnitude of the problem is such that dealers are not getting fix it on the spot responses either and Sherwood lacks the tools to provide all dealers with the ability to fix them on the spot, so the holdup remains at the company level. I know of at least one dealer ready to tell Sherwood where they can shove the SR1 since they are not feeling they can continue to sell them in good conscience if they can't be assured they work and/or can be quickly fixed.

Captain Larry get a clue dude this ain't about grey market selling it's about folks getting thir regs fixed. I have multiple regs in NC and live in VA. I REALLY HATE the fact that I have to suffer with sending my regs in and be without them while a design problem is cured.

I will admit that Tom is trying to do something his hands are tied most likely but SHERWOOD'S beuracratic BS - He is trying, I have been promised a new one within 2 weeks from this date....we'll see Thanks Tom for what you are trying to do. SHERWOOD NEEDS TO SHIP AND SHIP NOW WITHOUT QUESTION to dealers replacement regs overnight for direct replacement.

Bottom line...it doesn't matter if I have 1 reg or 50 regs...I bought 2 SR1s from a legit dealer, they have a warranty. I want new ones... not rebuilds. this is simple. I have DIN versions and I was told I would have to wait, that didn't thrill me. They can send to YOKE versions and the dealer can swap the DIN out..imagine that.

SHERWOOD step up now... I'm waiting to go diving!

All of the SR1s that we have in stock and have sold are 1D serials and up, no 1Cs and have absolutely no problems.

One of our Instructors has one in his personal gear and has had no problem, diving it for several weeks now. He has been 100'+ and 40 deg and up degrees. NO Problems.

As far as Sherwood's Service; As a dealer, any thing I needed they have jumped on and taken care of immediately. I email or call and it is taken care of ASAP.

If anybody needs assistance, PM, Email, or Call and I will see what I can do for you.
Would need Serial, Name, Address, LDS bought from, etc info.

I brough my SR1 to 137 ft and the water was 39, no prob. I had some trouble with my first reg, but now it is perfect. I had a super good service from my LDS, Sherwood and the canadian dstributor Diversco.
The SR! is a fantastic reg with super breathing capacity. It almost pump the air for you.

We have had no problems with this regulator. It breathes beautifully and easily. I do not hesitate selling the SR1.

I have been a Sherwood dealer for 2 1/2 years and not once have they questioned a return or a problem. Customer service is quick and easy and I know when I sell a Sherwood product, if there is ever a problem, they are willing to step up and fix it quickly.

Got my 1st replacment 1C series reg today from Sherwood. Talked to them and asked why not a 1D as requested. Tom told me that his guys looked over this reg before it was sent to ensure that it worked well. I appreciate the turn around guys, and I will test this reg this coming weekend and let you know what happens. In any case; thank you for taking time to send out a new reg, Ill keep you posted on its performance... I appreciate the time you are putting into this effort. Thanks!

To everyone reading this posting.

I want to set the record straight. I don't know where JimmyC got his information, but he is incorrect. There is not a design change between 1C and 1D. According to the engineer, every production has a different serial number run.
The next production run is going to be 1E. JimmyC is disseminating incorrect information.

Shortly after the introduction, the first few thousand units, it was discovered that a very small percentage exhibited air leakage into the dry spring chamber causing the diaphragm to rupture. This is not a safety issue, as a result is a loss in environmental protection. The regulator will continue to deliver air normally. The cause of the air leakage is associated with the assembly process. No design change was necessary, but manufacturing procedures have been altered to eliminate the assembly issue.

Sherwood Scuba is covering all regulators where the air leakage presents itself, through the Authorized Dealer Network. The leakage is such that if it has not occured in the early usage of the regulator, it is not likely to develop further.

Thank you everyone for listening.

Last edited:
Captain Larry get a clue dude this ain't about grey market selling it's about folks getting thir regs fixed. I have multiple regs in NC and live in VA. I REALLY HATE the fact that I have to suffer with sending my regs in and be without them while a design problem is cured.

I will admit that Tom is trying to do something his hands are tied most likely but SHERWOOD'S beuracratic BS - He is trying, I have been promised a new one within 2 weeks from this date....we'll see Thanks Tom for what you are trying to do. SHERWOOD NEEDS TO SHIP AND SHIP NOW WITHOUT QUESTION to dealers replacement regs overnight for direct replacement.

Bottom line...it doesn't matter if I have 1 reg or 50 regs...I bought 2 SR1s from a legit dealer, they have a warranty. I want new ones... not rebuilds. this is simple. I have DIN versions and I was told I would have to wait, that didn't thrill me. They can send to YOKE versions and the dealer can swap the DIN out..imagine that.

SHERWOOD step up now... I'm waiting to go diving!

Thanks for cluing me in on how to handle minor problems with a new product. I'll call Lexus and tell them I want a new replacement vehicle because mine has a flat tire.

Dear Sherwood,

Please read this in its entirety before coming off the launch pad. My remarks were based on a phone conversation with your reps in sunny Socal around the August 4th time frame. From your last rebuttal,

"The cause of the air leakage is associated with the assembly process. No design change was necessary, but manufacturing procedures have been altered to eliminate the assembly issue"

Now, if what I was told was not a design change, but an alteration to the manufacturing process, so be it. It has fixed the problem.

Please note that I have many pieces of Sherwood gear and like all of them. My issue was to hold Sherwood to its level of making great gear that they have done so since 1955. You rose up and answered the why part and have faithfully fixed the problem and have taken care of the customer base. Thank you.

As for the SR1 in general, I waited for it to come out, and I'm NOT disappointed with it at all. In fact, I like my SR1s, because they breathe as great or better than some regs that cost a whole lot more, and there are many Sherwood dealers to service them. I WILL continue to support the SR1, as a great reg because believe in it. I think it is a truly sweet reg. In fact, a friend just purchased a SR1 as a primary reg for tech diving.

As for my reg that you replaced, 16 dives, 130+ ft, salt and fresh water, and I put it through the paces. It is working fine; thanks Tom!

It takes a company a BIG BRASS PAIR to publish a W.O.B. of 0.65 and then deliver on that promise, and Sherwood did it with the SR1.

Please understand my position on equipment as an instructor. If I seem anal, well the safety of my students and other divers comes first, just the way I was taught.

Thanks Guys for building a flagship regulator.

JimmyC

Back
Top Bottom