Hollis 100LX Purge Button Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Nick27

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I ordered a regulator Package, Hollis DC3 1st stage with 100LX Second stage primary and Hollis 100LX Octopus recently and several days ago I dived for the first time with the regulator set. There was some current when I dived and I noticed that if the main regulator or octopus is in my mouth, then a freeflow does not occur and breathing continues normally. However, if I were to take it out and attach it to the BCD or leave it to dangle, for example, the movement of water against the purge button (from me swimming or from the current) activated the purge button and the regulator begins to freeflow. I went to my local dive shop and they checked whether the 1st stage was outputting too much pressure. They hooked the 1st stage to a tank and attached a gauge to the low pressure bcd hose. The pressure was around 135 psi... the guy doing the test said that if the pressure was past 150 psi then it would be a problem with the 1st stage. He assumed that the problem is in the demand lever's position relative to the purge button (and then he said a bunch of technical terms about a valve orifice and other stuff). He adjusted its position several times, but both the octopus and main regulator freeflow as soon as they hit the water. Any current against the purge button causes a freeflow. You lightly touch the button, and it starts leaking air... it isn't supposed to be that sensitive. He then suggested that I contact where I ordered the set (Leisure Pro) before he does anything else. So what would be the best thing to do, return, exchange or send it to Hollis for a repair?

I'm also thinking about trying to repair it myself, but I need a manual. If you have a Hollis 100LX repair manual, please send it to me. Here is a link to a previous question (about the same problem) I inquired on scubaboard Purge Button Freeflow Problem .

Please advise on what to do next, I have a big dive coming up this weekend and I want to figure this out asap.

what was the final cracking the tech adjusted to? did they adjust the orifice in addition to the lever height?
He adjusted the orifice by a quarter of a centimeter, but he said that it still does the same thing. I hooked the reg and etc. at home to my tank, and yes, they are still very sensitive. Also noticed that if I depress the purge button and let go, the lever doesn't close all the way and I can hear a faint leak coming from inside the reg.

it sounds like there may be a lever alignment issue that is preventing the poppet from closing correctly
I am not sure, probably. I didn't get any sand or debris into the regulator, so that can't be that. I just don't want to do anything with it until I have a manual... and Leisure Pro is not replying to my inquiry about the issue.

So assuming that the lever is adjusted to a proper height and that has not resulted in any improvement, the metal cap on the 2nd stage, the one with the "H" on it, can be opened by turning it clockwise (If I recall correctly, it actually loosens by turning it clockwise.) After removing the cap, you'll be able to see an allen key slot. Tightening this increases the tension on this spring which the lever ultimately acts against, which means it takes more effort to depress the diaphragm, thus making it harder to free flow.

As for how the 2nd stage still has a slight leak after pressing the purge button, that could be a bit more tricky since it could be the result of either one of many possible causes. Eg. damaged orifice, damaged seat. In that case then getting it exchanged with the seller seems to be the best option.

Anyway, feel free to drop me a PM if you need any further help!

So assuming that the lever is adjusted to a proper height and that has not resulted in any improvement, the metal cap on the 2nd stage, the one with the "H" on it, can be opened by turning it clockwise (If I recall correctly, it actually loosens by turning it clockwise.) After removing the cap, you'll be able to see an allen key slot. Tightening this increases the tension on this spring which the lever ultimately acts against, which means it takes more effort to depress the diaphragm, thus making it harder to free flow.

As for how the 2nd stage still has a slight leak after pressing the purge button, that could be a bit more tricky since it could be the result of either one of many possible causes. Eg. damaged orifice, damaged seat. In that case then getting it exchanged with the seller seems to be the best option.

Anyway, feel free to drop me a PM if you need any further help!
Thankyou for the information. I contacted LeisurePro (where I bought the package) and sent them only the second stae primary and octopus for an exchange. If the ones that come back to me next week still have the same problem (I don't think they will but who knows), I will PM you for further instruction. @Smock do you run Hollis gear or use their regs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom