Deep dives with Argonaut Double hose (305ft)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luis H

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Deep dives with Argonaut Double hose

General dive descriptions:

I just got back about a week ago from the Dahab in the Red Sea, Egypt. We did a series of deep dives with two of them in the Blue Hole just north of Dahab. One dive was to just under 210 ft of depth and the las t one was to 305 feet.

We were using TriMix for the bottom gas and for the travel gas during the deepest dive.

My primary regulator for my bottom gas was my Argonaut mounted on my back cylinder. I carried my bottom gas mixture on my back cylinder and my right “side mounted” cylinder. A low pressure quick disconnect hose allowed me to select from breathing my back gas or from the right cylinder (with the same mix). The right cylinder had a Conshelf first stage with a long hose to a Scubapro 109 for gas sharing if needed.

I carried my deco cylinders on (Nitrox 32 and 100% Oxygen) on my left side. The Nitrox 32 was in an AL80 and the O2 was in an AL40 below it.

For the Nitrox32 I used another Conshelf with a Scubapro 109 second stage. For the Oxygen, I used an oxygen clean unbalanced piston (DGX brand) first stage with another Scubapro 109 second stage. The unbalanced piston regulators are IMO the best choice for higher O2 gas mixes specially for pure O2.

For the first dive in the Blue Hole, we were using TMx 18/30 (18% O2, and 30 helium). We did start with the Nitrox 32 as a travel gas down to 110 ft in order to save a bit on the cost of helium.

For the deepest last two dives, we were using TMx 13/50 (13% O2, and 50 helium). With that low oxygen content, we needed a travel gas and therefore we added a 5th cylinder with TMx 20/20.

Note: these are not standard gas mixes, but they were readily available at out support dive shop in Dahab. BTW, I already got plenty of friendly comments about the non-standard mixes… My answer is: that is not the only thing non-standard… 😊

We had surface support from the dive shop with personnel assistance that would actually carry all our side cylinders into the water. The assistance made for the easiest shore diving experience that I can think of.

The Blue Hole in Dahab has an arch at around 175 ft deep, with a fairly large opening going out to open ocean. The bottom of the Blue Hole has a steep slope, but just under the arch the depth is about 300 ft and continues down into the open ocean.

A lot of divers have attempted going through the Blue Hole under the arch using a single AL80 with air. Many unprepared divers have died attempting such a dive (over 200 documented).

A lot of people have asked me if I saw any bones at the bottom of the arch. The answer is no. If the bodies are not recovered shortly after the incident, they get swept out to sea. I have heard that some remains can be found down around 600 ft depth. Well beyond any depth of interest to me.

Equipment observations.

First, I was extremely pleased with the performance of my Argonaut. I have been diving this Argonaut now for many years and it is just super. I will get into some of the improvements I have done to my Argonaut in following posts, but I will say the second stage has been adjusted to the max-possible venturi assistance.

I have used this regulator down to 180 ft and the performance has always been outstanding. With my new DSV flow diverter I have taken the venturi flow performance to a new level. 😊

During these dives with the helium in the TriMix, the performance was just beyond outstanding… With 50% helium, I felt very comfortable and clearly remember every detail of the smooth performance.

Also, a very impressive observation was the drastic noise difference every time I switch from my side gas regulators (single hose) to my back gas. I have always known there is a difference, but the repeated switching created a contrast in noise level that was dramatic.

Some friends thought that maybe the noise just switched from front to back, but that is not exactly the case. One of the unique modifications I have been working on the last two years (since Covid) has been on my exhaust bubble silencer. More on that later, but it definitely works.

The position of the side cylinders needs some improvement, but they did their job without any issues. My right cylinder in particular needs adjustment, but both sides can use it.

The configuration I used is what I called mix-mount, it draws from side mount and back mount, but most of my testing and cylinder position tuning has occurred here in Maine with cold water equipment. The transition to 3mm shorty with aluminum tanks requires a bit more refinement.

I have written about this configuration in these threads and I may be adding more information in the future. I am very pleased with this setup.

Argonaut Mix-mount or Tri-mount… as opposed to side-mount

Argonaut Mix-mount or Tri-mount… as opposed to side mount - Vintage Double Hose

I will be writing more about some of the work I have doing to the Argonaut (the exhaust silencer and my new DSV flow diverter, etc.), but for now here is the dive profile of a couple of my dives and below is a link to a video. I do not have any pictures of the dives. I don’t even have a camera housing rated to these depths.

Shearwater Blue Hole Dahab 2022-08-10  CC2  .jpg

Shearwater Blue Hole Dahab 2022-08-12 CC2 .jpg

Note: The breathing noise in this video is all from the diver holding the GoPro.

From looking at the videos I already established that I need to clip my side mount cylinders lower on my waist, not on the butt plate. This is particularly true with 50% helium. Even when it is full, the content in that cylinder is about 36% to 40% lighter. I would have made some corrections on the spot, but at the time it didn’t feel bad. I should have moved some weights… Oh well.

Most of the testing of my “mix-mount” set-up was done in cold water with a drysuit or heavy wetsuit. For the earlier dives I used small steel side cylinders, very heavy (worked great with a drysuit).

A few questions about your non-standard configuration choices... Was there a specific reason you chose break with the common convention of rich (gas on the) right and lean left (i.e. your bottom gas on the left and deco gas on the right)? Also, if I wanted 2 tanks for trimix and 2 deco gasses, I'd probably opt for manifolded doubles with the Kraken on the left post and a long hose on the right post and side mount my Nitrox on my left and O2 on my left; but I guess a twinset might be hard to get in Dahab, right? Was your choice of lower than "standard" helium percentages (per O2 percentage) a cost choice or just based on availability in Dahab? Also, what was the need for the 20/20 travel mix on the 13/50 bottom mix dives; couldn't you have still used the 32% down to 110' where it is perfectly safe to switch to 13/50 (PPO2 = .55)?

Doubles are very common in Dahab for tech diving. Dahab is a very interesting dive destination. There are several dive operators that can support technical diving as well... many free diving outfits... etc.

I have used many types of doubles, but the only one I like with a double hose is the Sherwood manifold with the center outlet and a secondary outlet. Keep in mind that for a double hose to perform at its best, the tank needs to be lower on your back. The tech diving doubles configuration doesn't play well with a DH.

I know Cousteau used a DH on a side post manifold (with three cylinders and rigid flotation) when he did the Britannic, but I like my DH in the center, lower back. Personal preference for optimal performance.

My understanding is that "right rich" gas is not always standard (but that is a separate discussion). I was partially following the side mount configuration with the long hose on the right cylinder to share air. It worked out much better than to try to do right rich.

Yes, I could have used the Nx32 for travel gas, but I had the Tmx20/20.

We actually had access to just about any mix we wanted, but cost was definitely a factor. I actually had the TMx20/20 left over from a previous dive.

The use of the low pressure cross over from the right cylinder allowed a lot of flexibility.

One of the things I like is the ability to use any available cylinder and not needing special gear.

I hope this helps. I can expand more tomorrow if something is not clear.

Thanks

Thank you for sharing this Luis. It is all very interesting-I won't even "report" you :D for posting this cutting-edge approach in the "Vintage Double Hose" forum. (There is nothing vintage about your extraordinary setup.) Ooops, mea culpa-this is the manufacturers forum. As you were.

The Conshelf's and Scubapro 109s are vintage. :cool:

That is about it.

After the fact, I really wished I would have had a capillary depth gauge for the deco stops. At 20 feet, they are the most accurate depth gauges and I have a few vintage ones. They quit making capillary depth gauge relatively recent, which is too bad.

Since I don't have any underwater pictures, I though I would share some of the top-side pictures.

Here is what the Blue Hole looks like from the surface.

20220810_091826.jpg

The free divers wake up much earlier than we do:

20220810_091832.jpg

And by the time we are getting out this is what the entrance looks like with all the snorkelers and the general tourist. :p
It can be a zoo trying to get out, but we had excellent surface support.

20220810_111241.jpg

Here are all the cylinders that two of us carried for the last deep dive.

20220812_092151.jpg

OK, I should not say that we carried them... I only carried my single back cylinder. The rest were brought to us into the water and we clipped them while standing in waist deep water. :cool:

20220810_090252.jpg

Here is the actual entrance with nice steps into the water.

20220810_090241.jpg

Here is our surface support assistance in his custom wetsuit. He was just awesome!
He actually hold the Guiness world record for the longest open water dive (over 6 days) and the largest underwater painting: Saddam Killany. And what a supper nice guy. :cool:

20220812_095125.jpg

Behind him you can see the Bedouin restaurants across from the Blue Hole.

I've always run my long hose on the left tank in side mount (my non-standard practice) in order to not have anything running across my chest. This actually worked to my advantage recently when I started using a chest mount rebreather, but that's not why I did it initially. But this also worked well for me in the case of single side mount (left) with or without deco or pony on the right.

I'm not a hard core advocate of "standard" gasses, but I do see the simplicity of putting in a specific percentage of helium and then topping with another "standard" gas (EAN 32) to get a "standard" trimix for which there are readily available tables and with which most other divers are familiar. However, since I don't have a booster and it's rarely convenient to drive an hour to my buddy who does, I often end up making 18/30 or 20/15 or whatever I can with the pressure of He I may be able to get into a tank. So really I was just curious what your reason was, as opposed to "You should use 18/45 or 15/55" or whatever. Thanks for explaining.

It seems unnatural to me to carry bottom gas as one back mount and one side mount tank, but apart from using doubles it is the only reasonable way to use your AK and still have enough volume for the dive you were doing. I guess the only other way would be to side mount both bottom stages, wear the 32% on your back with the AK, plumb it all together through the first stage, and then remember to turn off the 32% and turn on the side mounted bottles at 110'. That would be a lot of complexity just to fix my mental block about having mix on the back and one side, with other gasses on the other side, and probably increases the likelihood of breathing the wrong gas at the wrong depth. Thanks for giving me the chance to think through this and understand your views on this.

As for having the AK between your shoulder blades, I understand you (and most everyone including me) prefer it, but I have found that my AK, my DAAM, and even a Dacor single stage seem to have an acceptable WoB even on either post of a "standard" "modern" manifold provided I stay in good horizontal trim. I have been meaning to try a DH on a side mounted tank for some time now (on the premise that the reg will be just as close to my lungs as it would be low on my back), but I still have not tried it. Maybe this is the year I give it a go. IDK. Anyway, now that I've gone WAY off topic in several directions, I'll let you and anyone else reading this get back to your lives. Dive on!

Since I don't have any underwater pictures, I though I would share some of the top-side pictures.

Here is what the Blue Hole looks like from the surface.

View attachment 740905

The free divers wake up much earlier than we do:

View attachment 740906

And by the time we are getting out this is what the entrance looks like with all the snorkelers and the general tourist. :p
It can be a zoo trying to get out, but we had excellent surface support.

View attachment 740907

Here are all the cylinders that two of us carried for the last deep dive.

View attachment 740908

OK, I should not say that we carried them... I only carried my single back cylinder. The rest were brought to us into the water and we clipped them while standing in waist deep water. :cool:

View attachment 740909

Here is the actual entrance with nice steps into the water.

View attachment 740910

Here is our surface support assistance in his custom wetsuit. He was just awesome!
He actually hold the Guiness world record for the longest open water dive (over 6 days) and the largest underwater painting: Saddam Killany. And what a supper nice guy. :cool:

View attachment 740911

Behind him you can see the Bedouin restaurants across from the Blue Hole.
Must. Have. Tuxedo. Wetsuit! No, seriously, does anyone else feel like they must have one, and where can we find one?

Must. Have. Tuxedo. Wetsuit! No, seriously, does anyone else feel like they must have one, and where can we find one?
Here's the cheap (price and quality) version:

It seems unnatural to me to carry bottom gas as one back mount and one side mount tank, but apart from using doubles it is the only reasonable way to use your AK and still have enough volume for the dive you were doing. I guess the only other way would be to side mount both bottom stages, wear the 32% on your back with the AK, plumb it all together through the first stage, and then remember to turn off the 32% and turn on the side mounted bottles at 110'. That would be a lot of complexity just to fix my mental block about having mix on the back and one side, with other gasses on the other side, and probably increases the likelihood of breathing the wrong gas at the wrong depth. Thanks for giving me the chance to think through this and understand your views on this.

As for having the AK between your shoulder blades, I understand you (and most everyone including me) prefer it, but I have found that my AK, my DAAM, and even a Dacor single stage seem to have an acceptable WoB even on either post of a "standard" "modern" manifold provided I stay in good horizontal trim. I have been meaning to try a DH on a side mounted tank for some time now (on the premise that the reg will be just as close to my lungs as it would be low on my back), but I still have not tried it. Maybe this is the year I give it a go. IDK. Anyway, now that I've gone WAY off topic in several directions, I'll let you and anyone else reading this get back to your lives. Dive on!

I can totally understand your fixation with symmetry. When I saw the video, I did not like how my right cylinder floated so much more than my left cylinder. But, that is an adjustment I can correct.

If you go to my thread (under the link up top) on some of my "Mix-mount" tanks set-up you will see that I have also used just a very small cylinder on my back to provide a convenient mounting place for my DH. A small cylinder is also great in that the regulator actually touches my back.

In that thread you will see that my primary bottom gas cylinders were side-mounted. I don't need to actually close the back valve because I have been using pneumatic lock to only draw from my side cylinders. The DH IP on the back cylinder is set to 125 psi and the IP on all of my side mount Conshelf's is set to 145 psi. I have a lot of data (that I have plotted in graphs) showing that the IP in the Conshelf always stays above the set value on my Argonaut, even the dynamic IP.

Therefore, I have proven to myself that the pneumatic lock is very reliable, but that would just about blow the mind of most dive buddies... :p OK, maybe not, but I don't want to push it.

I have also used two LP cross over hoses, but to have easily visually verifiable gas switches, I decided to only connect the two cylinders with the same bottom mix. I did have a quick disconnect on my N32 cylinder, so I could have swapped the connection and easily drawn from that cylinder, into the second stage of my Argonaut. But again, I wanted my buddy to feel comfortable that he could see my gas switch.

On the subject of regulator position, I have played with chest mounted (like Cousteau did). I have also done a lot of pool testing were I hold my tank in front of me (while I am horizontal, or in different positions), and close my eyes, and feel the relative depth position of the DH demand valve versus my position in water column. It is an interesting experiment that I recommend to all divers.

My preference is not be perfectly horizontal (my neck cannot handle a 90 degree bend for very long) but a very slight slope, of about 10 degrees. In that situation with the regulator between my shoulders, the center of the demand valve is about level with the center of my ears (looking somewhat forward) or the back of my throat. Again this is just my preference.

Thanks for the questions and comments.

Back
Top Bottom