SR1 blowing up problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently did four dives in the Caymans with a max depth of 110ft. No problems encountered (1E S/N). I'm glad that you were still able to continue your Cozumel dive trip and have been getting a good response from Sherwood & LDS concerning your problems.

I recently did four dives in the Caymans with a max depth of 110ft. No problems encountered (1E S/N). I'm glad that you were still able to continue your Cozumel dive trip and have been getting a good response from Sherwood & LDS concerning your problems.
My replacement was an E series so I'm not sure that you are out of the woods yet.
Reviewed this entire thread just now(I need a life). Interesting reading. I will be diving once again in Feb. but do not know if I should go with yet another SR1 (thanks Sherwood) or go with a Maximus or Blizzard?
It would be interesting to hear from those that posted earlier in this thread to hear what they are diving with and are they happy with it?
The alternative is to start a new thread to here from those that are diving with the SR1 and are happy with it.

Been happy with my SR1, but only have about 10 dives on it so far. I figure if it has held up this far, I'd be surprised if it went kerplooie now (famous last words...).

Mine is an E series.

I had the same thing happened to two different SR1's. I really don't like how people here are saying that this is not a safety issue. What? Of course it is. Anything out of the normal performance of a unit is a safety issue.

If you're flying at 30,000 feet in an airplane and the entertainment system goes out, you can argue that it's not a safety issue, but I won't get on that airplane until it's fixed and not because I like watching tv on board.

How many of us have driven a car with the "check engine" light on? You can argue it's not a safety issue but something is wrong with the car.

Listen I have a lot of respect for Sherwood. In fact I'd say 50% of all my gear is from Sherwood. But just because we like a company doesn't make it right that we go telling people this isn't a safety issue because it is. Just because it's the environmental seal doesn't mean it's not a safety issue. Let's not make this a case where this won't be a safety issue until someone dies as an indirect result of this.

If this were a car it wouldn't pass the "lemon test". I'm sorry. As for me I ended up going with the new Mares Abyss 22T as my primary.

I do want to end this post on a good note for Sherwood...I do own a Sherwood Brut and I use that on my pony. What can I say about the Sherwood Brut...well, you can hammer nails with it (not that I recommend that) and it will still perform great at 120'.

Grayfox,

Sherwood is doing what they can or so they say. They finally took care of me but it took a lot of calls and bitch'n to get them to pony up. In my humble opinion, I expect that they have lost a number of sales due to this problem.

I will agree that it is not a serious problem if the seal blows underwater, and yes the regulator still works. My source of heartburn was having to relay to these guys that "Yup your right and this is not a problem to the seansoned diver who hears "POP" underwater and quietly says #$*(&$#)$^&)#$#@)&$ REGULATOR underwater and then ends the dive".....

The real problem is when it happens to the rookie with 5 cert dives and is on their 8th or 9th dive and hears "POP". They are the ones that are likely to $5it their wetsuit and get hurt when they spit out the reg and bolt for the top".

I read somewhere on this site that the SR1 is built by Advanced Diving Products

Home

Funny thing is; the first stages... they look the same, but to tell you the truth I've never had a problem out of my ADP Hybrid 3.

My Sr1s are doing well and I use them for teaching and pleasure, but as always a good diver carries a backup like a brute or abyss 22.

Keep diving!

Grayfox,

Sherwood is doing what they can or so they say. They finally took care of me but it took a lot of calls and bitch'n to get them to pony up. In my humble opinion, I expect that they have lost a number of sales due to this problem.

I will agree that it is not a serious problem if the seal blows underwater, and yes the regulator still works. My source of heartburn was having to relay to these guys that "Yup your right and this is not a problem to the seansoned diver who hears "POP" underwater and quietly says #$*(&$#)$^&)#$#@)&$ REGULATOR underwater and then ends the dive".....

I dont agree. I think Sherwood is not doing enough.

I am on my third SR-1 - The first two blew the seal - they were early models - and now this one on the dive over the vacation here yesterday popped the turret.

This is just unacceptable.

I blew up the shop and the importers today - they say they will attend to it and change it out but their hands are tied by Sherwood USA who want them back before replacement - thats not acceptable, this is one of the most expensive regs you can buy here - the top of the range Scuba Pros are cheaper and more reliable - I have told the shop and the importer I dont want another if I have to wait weeks again - I will take my money back and change to a Scuba Pro - Sorry Sherwood - three strikes - you are out.!

When my second SR-1 blew it's guts out at depth I decided to try something else. Life support gear should not be beta tested by consumers.

When my second SR-1 blew it's guts out at depth I decided to try something else. Life support gear should not be beta tested by consumers.
Having rubber seals pop on the surface is concerning. Having turrets pop is more than concerning.
Having failures at depth takes it to an entirely different level!
I would like to hear more about that problem.
I was heading to the LDS this weekend to exchange my SR1 for another one......agree I don't want to be a test diver for the latest fix....I'm moving on.

The turret came loose diverken, you can physically lift it up and down with your fingers about 2mm, obviously air just pours out there. Initially I thought the top screw had come undone (???), but putting an allen cap on it proved it was tight, the issue is internal, something has gone wrong and allowed the turret to come loose -dangerous - you bet.!

My opinion is this reg should still be on the test bench - sorry its not acceptable.!

Hi
Does the SR1 come with an International Warranty - so that it can be fixed under warranty by an overseas Authorised Sherwood Service Tech'; say while diving overseas.

Has there only been 1 version of the SR1 made; meaning no upgrade model, eg Version 2 ?

Back
Top Bottom