SR1 blowing up problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also got an SR1 last Nov 09.

The rubber seal on top of the 1st stage kinda pops out on mine too. (even without pressure)
Is this a problem?

The regulator really performs well underwater but after reading this thread and noticing that rubber seal, I am now very concerned about it.

My First Stage Serial Number is JG377.
I bought it from Pacifica Dive Center - Distributor for Philippines.

I hope to hear from a Sherwood Rep about this.

Just got mine back from my LDS with the same 1C series serial number. They were sent back to Sherwood for investigation after my own enviro-seal blow out (6 th dive Cozumel). I was told the seat was changed and I should not have any further problems???!! LDS said they would replace them if I did with another set of regs. Glad I bought them......???? Yes, they are amazing in the water. However, they will be gone if I have any more enviro-seal problems. No doubt!!
I am grateful I bought them locally for the way my problem has been thoughtfully investigated with my apprehensions passed forth to the manufacturer. I am confident that if this should re-occur my concerns will be eased by my LDS at his word.

I do not have many dives on my SR1 so i can only share a tid bit. When i open my tank I always do so slowly. The rubber does protrude up a bit. My other regulator is the Mares Proton Ice Extreme. It is also sealed. It bulges up a good 1/4". I hope Sherwood has gotten the kinks out because it was hard for me to switch to their reg. It is a beautiful breather. My proton is pretty sweet as well. Don't make me switch back!

Last edited:
I do not have many dives on my SR1 so i can only share a tid bit. When i open my tank I always do so slowly. The rubber does protrude up a bit. My other regulator is the Mares Proton Ice Extreme. It is also sealed. It bulges up a good 1/4". I hope Sherwood has gotten the kinks out because it was hard for me to switch to their reg. It is a beautiful breather. My proton is pretty sweet as well. Don't make me switch back!

I am pretty sure that they have worked all the kinks out now. Any reg you have bought in the last 9 months is not going to have the issue which the older models had. I still own (and use) one of the older models. You have to treat it like a tempramental bi tch, but if you can put up with that, it is still a very good regulator.

Best of all though: I assume due to the fall out from the bad publicity, you can still pick up an SR1 on Leisurepro for about $340, which has to be the cheapest high performance reg anywhere.

I have had 2 issues with my SR1 both the first stage. Tower became loose and took it in. Then a few weeks later I had the blow out problem. I have to say I'm not very happy with this regularor due to the relability issue. It breathes great but if it's not realable and I have had to use rentals 2 times now, one on a trip and one in a class, it defeats the purpose of spending the money on a high end regulator.

Sherwood rep question~
Looking at another thread about the SR1 and a redesign has me wondering. The fix for my first stage failing was more grease on the O-rings in that stage, they tech that fixed it said he asked how much and the company just said more. Is that the fix for it or is the redesign set to address that? Is the design 1.0 faulty and needs to be replaced? Is putting more grease on the O-rings in the first stage the real fix for the problem? Thanks for your input.

Endurodog: It sounds like the additional silicone was for your issue specifically at that time and the amount was based on the technician's view and not prescribed as a set volume for each time this situation occurs. We are always looking to improve our designs of all of our products, but no our SR1 design is not faulty and does not need to be replaced. There is no redesign of the SR1, but rather a version in DIN and a version that offers another route for your hoses. All of the internal designs are the same.

Thanks for the response. Actually the tech that serviced it called your service department and they advised him more silicon, when he asked how much they just said more. Love the reg when it's working!

Wow! From a cold water free flow problem to this...Huh..who would have thunk it. :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom