Springtime Meet & Greet - Saturday 04/04/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, not everyone moved to Monastery, but the BW was peasoup to put it mildly. That being said it was so great to see those that were able to share the day with us. More later!
Posted via Mobile Device

I had a great time! It was nice meeting so many new folks as well as re-connecting with a few of you. Had a nice coastal tour with Justin, Mike, Jim and Dan. And special thanks to Dan for taking me on my first Monastery dive.

Until next time every one chant after me: Weekday Dives... Weekday Dives... Weekday Dives.... :D

(((((kevin)))))

Descending 75 ft into the dark freezing pea soup was pretty amazing! - for a warm water diver use to forever vis :D!

Believe it or not, I had a great time! Thanks everybody, especially Mike G, Brewski, Ms. Brewski, & Kent for the patient initiation into low vis cold water!

It was very nice to meet some of you & thanks so much for including me in your M&G. Look forward to diving local again & actually seeing more than algae :D!

Glad you were able to make it Kathy and weren't scared off by the algae or 'gunk' that the Canyon gave us. It was nice to meet you.

It was wonderful to see so many people show up for the M&G despite the conditions having been heavily scrutinized during the days leading up to the event. Those who went to Monastery were treated to decent conditions ranging from 20'-40', where as those who stayed at the BW enjoyed viz ranging from 2'-5'. The pea soup/Canyon regurgitation was pretty incredible resulting in Robin and I immediately loosing Buddy Team #2 consisting of Chris and Greg. Despite Robin's HID light, I was glued to his side being able to only maintain visual contact with him via his yellow secondary and the white "Diving Concepts" patch on his right arm. Good enough. We swam almost exclusively with one hand stretched out in from of us to prevent running into pipes, rocks, kelp as it was impossible to see anything until you were already almost upon it. Amazingly, we didn't need to practice any lost buddy procedures! As Doc Wong would say - good training day dive.

:grouphug: Thanks to Robin (ryssyr), Michelle (micbouch), Paula (pharmrick), Chris (masterofnone), Dan (dannobee), Greg (srcaldiver) and his wife, Michele, Allan (not on the board), Norbert, Justin (JustinW), Mike (mikemills), Jim Earnst, Mike G (mguerrero), Kathy (kathydee), Ron (brewski), Carrie (ms_brew), Kent, Ron's students (whose names elude me), Kevin (kwest) and whomever else I might have inadvertently forgotten, for joining in despite the questionable conditions, having pizza and sharing some laughs. :grouphug:

Now the question becomes --- Who is planning the next one?? :hmmm:

Last edited:
Now the question becomes --- Who is planning the next one?? :hmmm:

I vote for Sarah since she has done a great job so many times before :)

So how was the entry and exit at Monastery? North or South entry used?

We got tons of yard work done yesterday and today will be spent doing the remainder of the much needed enhancements. Our garden soil is tilled and everything is planted with tomatoes, peas, lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, strawberries got moved, and a rasberry bush is getting it's own ceramic container :cool2:

I vote for Sarah since she has done a great job so many times before :)

So how was the entry and exit at Monastery? North or South entry used?

We got tons of yard work done yesterday and today will be spent doing the remainder of the much needed enhancements. Our garden soil is tilled and everything is planted with tomatoes, peas, lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, strawberries got moved, and a rasberry bush is getting it's own ceramic container :cool2:

Sounds like a successful day for you all! As for planning ... anyone else interested in planning!? :)

Posted via Mobile Device

What a difference a day makes!

Today the water is flat calm. and the vis looks pretty darn good.

Jim, Mike, Chris and I are preparing to head out the the metridium field.

As for the next one. there was some talk last night over a bit of rum. and I'll leave out the details until more information is available. lets just say you won't want to miss it!

Hi Sarah,

I had a great time on Sat, nothing like diving wet again. When I dropped off Ken't boat I felt like I was naked. I didn't feel any equipment on me and all the bulk of my drysuit was non-existent.

When I kicked my feet to swim over to Kathy, I literally over shot my distance. It was too easy to swim and no drag.

I kept checking my feet to make sure my fins were on once I jumped in because it felt too smooth in the water.

Only thing I didn't miss was that blasted cold water creeping into my suit as I descended into the pea soup. At 76 feet I was only accompanied by my partner Kathy. Ron and his partner were further down the line but soon appeared to call off the dive.

Had I lost the line I would've been blown away into endless pea soup. I was happy to start the ascent back up to the boat for my warmth to come back to my body it was cold at 50 degrees and I was only down for 12 minutes.

I know I was over weighted because I used the same amount of weight for my drysuit that I did on my wetsuit 12 lbs. I would like to try 8 pounds on my wetsuit for my next run.

Kathy our warm water girl, she did awesome in our cold water pea soup. Her bouyancy was top notch and she descended and ascended in elegance. This girl knows how to dive and she didn't panic or show stress as we hit 1 foot viz down the line.

We just need to invite her again to show her our beautiful waters, the kelp bed and all their friends; which includes otters, sealions and harbor seals etc...

Sarah I really think since we had a blowout in viz on 4-4, we need to create the 4-4 Rematch...

I know the divers will respond and pencil in their calenders the REMATCH of 4-4...

We cannot have pea soup for dinner all month long, I know there is something else in the making soon...

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom