Question Snorkeling Recommendations for Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking more about the kids than the adults. But for adults who aren't great swimmers or who don't have a lot of stamina or comfort in the water, they are also a good idea. They are also bright and easier to spot if a boat happens along...
Even for adults that are good swimmers there are times when it might not be bad to have. Over the years I've had situations come up where I had to push in a sea kayak (with 2 family members in it) against the current to keep it from drifting to PDC (really wore me out), and when I've had to assist other snorkelers, where it has been helpful to have a snorkel vest that I could inflate. I'd rather have one and just deflate it if I want to dive down.

I don’t know why anyone who is a decent swimmer would need a life jacket when snorkeling around Cozumel unless it is to prevent them from being able to swim underwater, like they do around whale sharks.
Punta Sur is a different situation than most snorkeling. The reef is a long swim out from the beach. Most snorkelers are used to spending the majority of the time floating. Usually a boat drops you in just the right place or the attractions are right off the beach. I think it is about a 200 yard swim out there and then, of course, you have to get back. I didn't want to recommend it without the caveat. Read some of these comments on TripAdvisor to see how some people find it challenging. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...o_far_for_kids-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Punta Sur is a different situation than most snorkeling. The reef is a long swim out from the beach. Most snorkelers are used to spending the majority of the time floating. Usually a boat drops you in just the right place or the attractions are right off the beach. I think it is about a 200 yard swim out there and then, of course, you have to get back. I didn't want to recommend it without the caveat. Read some of these comments on TripAdvisor to see how some people find it challenging. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...o_far_for_kids-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html
I would not recommend swimming out to the reef at Punta Sur, especially alone or in a small group. There is boat traffic there and single snorkelers would be hard to see. If you must do it, then in that case I do recommend wearing a bright yellow horse collar float to make yourself more visible to boat captains.

Heck, there are six of you- just hire a boat. I’m sure there are operators that would have a great time taking your group snorkeling and catering a custom trip. Your marginal cost difference is probably nominal considering what you are getting.

One thing I have learned the hard way(more than once..) is to have masks that fit properly and are WATER TESTED before you go. A couple years ago my darling wife assured me (several times) at our local dive shop that a new mask she picked out fit perfectly. Well, on vacation, out on a boat her new mask leaked badly. So did the loaner masks the operator had. Anyway, we eventually got her outfitted at the cost of two new masks and a wasted day on the water. I can’t imagine the frustration of dealing with several people in this situation, in Mexico.

One thing I have learned the hard way(more than once..) is to have masks that fit properly and are WATER TESTED before you go. A couple years ago my darling wife assured me (several times) at our local dive shop that a new mask she picked out fit perfectly. Well, on vacation, out on a boat her new mask leaked badly. So did the loaner masks the operator had. Anyway, we eventually got her outfitted at the cost of two new masks and a wasted day on the water. I can’t imagine the frustration of dealing with several people in this situation, in Mexico.
A good test for the fit of a mask is to see if you can keep it on your face without a strap or your hands and without constantly sucking air out of it through your nose. A mask should not depend on the strap to keep it so tight on your face that water cannot get in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom