Split fins or Blade fins

Split fins or Blades

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude:
I hate to be the one to break up a perfectly good pissing match, but it IS possible to do backward kicks in splits.

See:
http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/instruct/grier/fins.html
and
http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/gearreviews.php?s=503

Thanks for the links.

While I won't say it's impossible, I don't think it's practical. I'll admit that my experience with splits is limited to the SP Twin Jets, so my statements are speculation in reference to any other split.

I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong and pay up the $100 as soon as I see the vid of CIB doing the kick.

OK, I lie.... I won't be happy.

Diver Dennis:
What fins do you use CIB?

It's in the first posts I made in this thread - I'm using Jets at the moment.
I had to get all new gear after the move to Alaska ( My dive gear didn't make it up here ) and I didn't want to pay the price of the Biofins, so I went back to an old style fin that I'd used long ago. I was using Quattros before the switch to biofins in ~1997. I didn't think they were much more than a fad at first, and I didn't much care for em, but I had promised to give them a 'fair' trial, so I started trying to see exactly what they'd do. after a few weeks they began to impress me. They still wouldn't scull worth a darn and being the stubbern SOB that I am ( my buddy says obsesive/compulsive :wink: ) I just HAD to make em do it. As a photographer it a nessesity to move backwards or at least hold your position ( and not use your hands), so I 'found' a way.

PerroneFord:
Split fins are dangerous in some environments. So those of us who dive in that environment have no used for them. I'd like to try a pair to see what all the fuss is about, but that's about all.

What enviroments would you be referring to????

I use split fins for spearfishing and just doing a nice drift dive.
I switch to scubapro jet fins for wreck dives and hunting for lobsters
which gives me manuverability.

So from your last sentence it sounds like you have not tried them. But
yet you make a personal judgement that they are dangerous in
some enviroments. To try them you would have to make a few dives with them
with an open mind to cast judgement on them. I would recommend Sherwood Treks
Splits. Foot pocket is extremely comfortable and they have power to spare.

A cyber scubadiver like you would expect a good trail period.

Give it a good try you have nothing to lose.

I like both for different types of dives.:wink:

I am a blade guy. Don't care for the give in split fins. The question is, how long and how wide? Try different ones out from either buddies of you LDS.

Since there is a royalty on split-fin design usage... I for one am surprised that no company has come out with blade fins... that just happen to have a groove down the middle that could be easily cut by the end-user with a razor knife.

CIBDiving:
What you taking in college basket weaving?

Electrical & Computer Engineering

We did a test in the scuba program at NCSU--the split fin took 2x as many kick cycles to get across the pool as Jets. I don't see how they are more efficient...

SparticleBrane:
I don't see how they are more efficient...

When you get to the real engineering classes and they don't teach you why - ask for your money back.

SparticleBrane:

We did a test in the scuba program at NCSU--the split fin took 2x as many kick cycles to get across the pool as Jets. I don't see how they are more efficient...

But, how many times does it have to be said that you don't do the same type of kick with each fin! Such a test is absolutely pointless. But hopefully you knew that.

- ChillyWaters

Oh my god what did i do???:O
I just got me some split fins, still have to try them.
In 6 weeks I can talk about it too!!:p

Something interesting to know about, there are a lot of factors why a product last longer than others. This is the story, about a week ago, I visited a museum type of dive shop.
They were having whole bunch of Jets or Jets liked fins. The Cressi Rondine, older than the review given here, what does it looks like? Jets (I was trying to upload the pic but failed, anyway), then the original Jets made by Beuchat (Yes, it's called Jets, printed on the fins, the ancestor of SP Jets), Jets by ScubaPro "the old rubber version", then a relatively new Contact Pro made by Beuchat (not the same Contact you can see now), they all looked the same, some are a bit longer, full foot, open heal....etc.

Except for the SP Jets, all the others are not in production anymore (well, sorry, turtle), meaning maybe the name is still there, e.g. Rondine, but it's not the Jets like Rondine; Contact, quite different now. So, SP Jets is popular, no question about it; good design, no question about it too. It actually made the whole market making similar products. Is it really the other similar products are not as good... maybe, I don't know. Marketing, maybe. The market need something new to drive, that too. Let me take a guess on what is going to happen to the split fins, maybe 2 to 3 would stay around for a longer, then after a long while 1 to 2 left, maybe.

Back
Top Bottom