Split fins or Blade fins

Split fins or Blades

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
...apart from the comment about college...:rolleyes:

"They're easier to kick with!" YES, because there's a HOLE in the middle! Imagine that!! Instead of fixing poor technique or lack of leg strength with equipment, fix the root cause of the problem--practice kicking.

Your fingers are necessary for manipulation of tools. Split fins are definitely NOT required.
Let's agree to disagree, hm?

:11doh:
<snicker> He, obviously, is not studying hydrodynamics.......

dherbman:
Thanks for the links.

While I won't say it's impossible, I don't think it's practical. I'll admit that my experience with splits is limited to the SP Twin Jets, so my statements are speculation in reference to any other split.

I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong and pay up the $100 as soon as I see the vid of CIB doing the kick.

OK, I lie.... I won't be happy.

:eyebrow:

HAW HAW!!!!
I think we all just saw you "back paddle!!!" YOU just proved it could be done!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SparticleBrane:
Electrical & Computer Engineering

We did a test in the scuba program at NCSU--the split fin took 2x as many kick cycles to get across the pool as Jets. I don't see how they are more efficient...

AHHHH State.......That explains it!

Trinigordo:
I am wondering why 9 people so far, have absolutely no desire to see the otherside. How can you know which you prefer without trying both?

Me personally I fell in love with Apollo Bio-Fins, and I don't think I will ever switch them for another fin. I find them extremely comfortable and more efficient than any other fin I have used.

Would rather spend the money on other toys...

lots of interesting opinions here, just like in the "magazine testing", but only one way to find out what works best for me,
I am doing my own tests...
just ordered my new Apollo Pro XT's with springs to put up against my Black Tiger's, Panthers and three other pair of blades,
tried Twin Jets last weekend and they do feel different than my blades,
in the end, all that matters is I get to figure out what I like best and of course an excuse to buy more gear
good thing my wife's a diver also!

CIBDiving:
I really don't care about the hundred bucks - As soon as find the fins to use and a videographer, I'll post it. Along with a reminder that you're a fool. :mooner:

A videographer? You mean like Al Giddings? Sweeeeet, I was only expecting a crappy AVI.

I'm going to be gone for a couple weeks, but I'll try to check in. Be sure to PM me your e-mail address so I can PP you the $100.

Allison Finch:
:shakehead
And what, pray tell, are those "dangerous environments"???

I use them on rec dives, penetrating wrecks, in caves, in ripping currents, while photographing, night dives, doing exploratory dives on virgin areas of PNG,.....etc.

For someone who claims not to be a certified diver, you have a very strong opinion.

Just because YOU use them in wrecks and caves doesn't mean they belong there. None of the cave instructors I've dove with, or spoken to advocate splits in those environments.

But hey, some people will spend all day with a hammer beating a square peg into a round hole...

Back
Top Bottom