Split fins or Blade fins

Split fins or Blades

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alo100:
Except for the SP Jets, all the others are not in production anymore (well, sorry, turtle), meaning maybe the name is still there, e.g. Rondine, but it's not the Jets like Rondine; Contact, quite different now. So, SP Jets is popular, no question about it; good design, no question about it too.

After a 25 year hiatus from diving I pulled my old IDI Jet fins out of my parents garage. As best as I can remember these are the only fins I used for the five years I was a certified diver. From what I understand they are still under production under the XS brand. The rubber is still in good shape except near the buckles and I am currently using them.

Well, now I can finally add my two cents. I had the chance to try a pair of split fins this weekend, the Tusa X-Pert Zoom and absolutely loved them. No more leg cramps after repeated dives and had no noticeable decrease in speed or maneuverability. The angle of the fins took some getting used to while making a beach entry but other then that I have no complaints. I have decided to switch to split fins but would like to try the Apollo Bio Fins before deciding which ones to buy. Is there a noticeable difference between the black and the yellow and is it worth it to spend the extra $48.00 for the spring clamps?

tc_rain:
Well, now I can finally add my two cents. I had the chance to try a pair of split fins this weekend, the Tusa X-Pert Zoom and absolutely loved them. No more leg cramps after repeated dives and had no noticeable decrease in speed or maneuverability. The angle of the fins took some getting used to while making a beach entry but other then that I have no complaints. I have decided to switch to split fins but would like to try the Apollo Bio Fins before deciding which ones to buy. Is there a noticeable difference between the black and the yellow and is it worth it to spend the extra $48.00 for the spring clamps?
As I understand, the difference between the black and yellow is fairly minor. There is considerably more difference between either and the grey XT's, however. I prefer the XTs, and think if they were more widely used the naysayers on this board would have a lot less squawking to do about splits.

Spring straps are WAY worth it, whichever way you go.

tc_rain:
Spring straps are the only way to go. No more buckles to mess with. Easy on and easy off. They also support my next statement.

For beach entry, carry your fins into the water and put them on there and reverse for getting out. Lot easier to walk without the fins on.

tankboygreg:
After a 25 year hiatus from diving I pulled my old IDI Jet fins out of my parents garage. As best as I can remember these are the only fins I used for the five years I was a certified diver. From what I understand they are still under production under the XS brand. The rubber is still in good shape except near the buckles and I am currently using them.

Sorry for skipping the IDI Jets, good for you to have the product, I was using Contact Pro, Jet style, last weekend.

SFLDiver:
Still have my old Blade fins, tried splits, then got long fins (a la freediving)
and will race anyone any ol day. :D

I'll bust out my old blades when on a lazy dive when I dont wannna be kicking my neighbors, like on a photo shoot under a local bridge,

but if I'm hunting bugs and wanna cover some ground ... longfins. I own 3 pair.

Race anyone...???
Hmmm...I might take you up on that challenge. I spend a lot of time in PNG and swim big currents. I was helping the divemaster put a shackle in the mooring line to secure it for the night. The current was really ripping and we had to swim from the edge of the seamount up to the mooring. He had LONG Cressi freedive fins and I had my SP twin speed split fins. We were both powering into the current in a "friendly" race to the mooring line. He was in his 20's and I was....well.....UMM....more than twice that. I beat him to the line and I was not nearly as winded as he was. He dives up to 5 dives a day all year!
All I can say to those who say splits are bad for currents and offer no speed.....balderdash! To get the performance you may be looking for, you might want the stiffer fins. Some are a little too floppy for my taste.

SFLDiver:
Still have my old Blade fins, tried splits, then got long fins (a la freediving)
and will race anyone any ol day. :D

I'll bust out my old blades when on a lazy dive when I dont wannna be kicking my neighbors, like on a photo shoot under a local bridge,

but if I'm hunting bugs and wanna cover some ground ... longfins. I own 3 pair.

Race anyone...???
Hmmm...I might take you up on that challenge. I spend a lot of time in PNG and swim big currents. I was helping the divemaster put a shackle in the mooring line to secure it for the night. The current was really ripping and we had to swim from the edge of the seamount up to the mooring. He had LONG Cressi freedive fins and I had my SP twin speed split fins. We were both powering into the current in a "friendly" race to the mooring line. He was in his 20's and I was....well.....UMM....more than twice that. I beat him to the line and I was not nearly as winded as he was. He dives up to 5 dives a day all year!
All I can say to those who say splits are bad for currents and offer no speed.....balderdash! To get the performance you may be looking for, you might want the stiffer fins. Some are a little too floppy for my taste.

PerroneFord:
Split fins are dangerous in some environments. So those of us who dive in that environment have no used for them. I'd like to try a pair to see what all the fuss is about, but that's about all.

:shakehead
And what, pray tell, are those "dangerous environments"???

I use them on rec dives, penetrating wrecks, in caves, in ripping currents, while photographing, night dives, doing exploratory dives on virgin areas of PNG,.....etc.

For someone who claims not to be a certified diver, you have a very strong opinion.

SparticleBrane:
That's correct, I've never tried them. Been around plenty of people using them, however...they were all sad that they paid $150-$180 for theirs and you could get normal Jets for $65, and they perform better.

HOW is there no more risk of entanglement? It has a SPLIT down the middle and the two pieces move independently of each other--plenty of room for a line to get inbetween.
IMHO I think they're crap, you couldn't pay me to use them. :)

:eyebrow:
Hey, relax on the kid. He is very young and, probably, limited diving experience. He'll learn, someday.....
:lol:

SparticleBrane:
I started out with Cressi Frogs...bought the Jet and haven't looked back. The instant I got in the water with the Jets, it was like "...why did I buy the Frogs?"

:D
I dove with jet fins for over 30 years. I love them. I wouldn't go back after using my twin speeds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom