Split fins or Blade fins

Split fins or Blades

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...apart from the comment about college...:rolleyes:

"They're easier to kick with!" YES, because there's a HOLE in the middle! Imagine that!! Instead of fixing poor technique or lack of leg strength with equipment, fix the root cause of the problem--practice kicking.

Your fingers are necessary for manipulation of tools. Split fins are definitely NOT required.
Let's agree to disagree, hm?

SparticleBrane:
Your fingers are necessary for manipulation of tools.

Okay, so we need our fingers. But, I guess mitts should be required, at least DIR, since they have less entanglement points.

I cannot imagine my fins getting entangled in a line. And if they were to get "caught," I'm sure they will slip right off. Have you ever used split fins? Oh yeah, nevermind...

- ChillyWaters

I used to use AquaLung Rocket fins, but after a rock-climbing fall that broke both ankles, they were too painful across the top of my foot where the surgeons had made a 4 inch incision to rebuild the right ankle. My Atomic split fins are the perfect answer for me, due to the decreased resistance, not to mention the fact that I get great power and acceleration from them, no matter which kick I use. Just my 2 psi :)

I bought Plana Avantis for my OW class and hated them in the 55 degree water of the quarry. I called Larry from Scuba Toys and had Bio-fins delivered to my house in two days. I loved the Apollos when I was just starting because I could use them for hours without cramping. Once I started frog kicking the Bio-fins went back into the closet. If someone only uses the flutter kick, there is no better fin than the Bio-fin. I now almost never flutter kick and my IDI Power fins are just about perfect.

SparticleBrane:
"They're easier to kick with!" YES, because there's a HOLE in the middle! Imagine that!! Instead of fixing poor technique or lack of leg strength with equipment, fix the root cause of the problem--practice kicking.

What you taking in college basket weaving? They are easier to kick because they are an advanced design. At least the "Natures Wing" versions are, I think some are just a 'bandwagon' thing. If you use them, you need to practice kicking, the old style kicks doesn't work (well) with splits. In ( AFAIK) All tests the "Natureswing" fin has outperformed a bladed fin in amount of work done for thrust produced.

SparticleBrane:
Your fingers are necessary for manipulation of tools. Split fins are definitely NOT required.

Neither is a hid light, but it's a new design and works better with more effeciency.
So I guess it could be said "don't fix the light, just learn to point it better", eh?

SparticleBrane:
Let's agree to disagree, hm?

We can agree to disagree, we just don't agree on why we disagree.

CIBDiving:
Since you have never tried split fins and have a closed mind about them, you have no idea what will happen nor has anyone else who hasn't used them. You have an 'overactive' imagination and apparently can only parrot what you've been told. There is no more chance of entanglement with a split fin ( at least the apollo biofin, I can't say about the others), then with a bladed fin.

In fact most, if not all the bad press is from those who have never used them. Of Those who switch back from splits most only tried them for a dive or two and never learned How to use them - they don't work like bladed fins.

I started out with Jet Fins, used Twin Jets for about 6 months and then switched back to Jet Fins.

I can do anything in my blades that I could do in the splits. The same can not be said of the splits. I demand performance from my fins that splits can not provide.

For the vast majority of recreational divers, splits are a great option. They want to move forward with minimal effort. That's what splits are great at.

I don't see entanglement as an issue with either fin.

If you can't make the fin do it, doesn't mean it won't -It Only means that you are inadaquet for the job. A fine example is a back kick, how many times did you try before you got it right?

CIBDiving:
If you can't make the fin do it doesn't mean it won't -It Only means that you are inadaquet for the job.

I'll make you the same deal I made Chilly. $100 if you can put together a decent back kick in split fins. No fair using your mouth. :wink:

How about it? Are you 'adaquet'?

It not easy and I needed about 3 years to learn how, but it can be done, they are not very effiecent at it and you can't get up any speed but then again a fish doesn't use it's tail to swim backwards either.

Either way that doesn't change your BS about how they work in current in any way it only proves you have no clue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom