Split fins or Blade fins

Split fins or Blades

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree, if you get a chance to try it out first, this will be the best.
I know that someone would be able to use a certain pair of fins better than I do, but I'm already v. happy after I've found something which is much more suitable for myself.
It has to be the optimum combination: my legs, my kicks, and the fins.

I have the Mares Volo Power fins...I guess technically they're a blade fin, but they have the middle of the blade made of a more flexible rubber piece, as well as "channels" and openings in the blade.

When I bought them, I was between the ones I got and another brand (can't remember which) that was a split fin. I've had knee problems in the past, so at the dive shop they recommended these, as they tend to be easier on your knees...that was a major factor for me when I was deciding which kind to get.

I have both. I use the blade Cressi Spacefrogs & Scubapro Jet Fin (for Drysuit they are slightly negative) and for the split fin I use the Scubapro Twin Jet.

CIBDiving:
This has got to be the BIGGEST peice of Hoooy posted here Yet. Have you actualy tried this or are just repeating someone elses stupidity?

How is this "Hoooy"? I've never done it personally (don't cave dive) but I can certainly see it happening. Why take the risk?

Since you have never tried split fins and have a closed mind about them, you have no idea what will happen nor has anyone else who hasn't used them. You have an 'overactive' imagination and apparently can only parrot what you've been told. There is no more chance of entanglement with a split fin ( at least the apollo biofin, I can't say about the others), then with a bladed fin.

In fact most, if not all the bad press is from those who have never used them. Of Those who switch back from splits most only tried them for a dive or two and never learned How to use them - they don't work like bladed fins.

That's correct, I've never tried them. Been around plenty of people using them, however...they were all sad that they paid $150-$180 for theirs and you could get normal Jets for $65, and they perform better.

HOW is there no more risk of entanglement? It has a SPLIT down the middle and the two pieces move independently of each other--plenty of room for a line to get inbetween.
IMHO I think they're crap, you couldn't pay me to use them. :)

SparticleBrane:
That's correct, I've never tried them.

I've seen you write in numerous threads about how superior Jets are, and how dumb everything else is. Well, it's good that you have a lot of personal experience to back up your very opinionated view.

Thanks for sharing.

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
I've seen you write in numerous threads about how superior Jets are, and how dumb everything else is.

I guess it's a lot easier to jump on a bandwagon than to form one's own opinion. It sure saves time.

- ChillyWaters

I started out with Cressi Frogs...bought the Jet and haven't looked back. The instant I got in the water with the Jets, it was like "...why did I buy the Frogs?"

SparticleBrane:
HOW is there no more risk of entanglement? It has a SPLIT down the middle and the two pieces move independently of each other--plenty of room for a line to get inbetween.
IMHO I think they're crap, you couldn't pay me to use them. :)

I'm glad I don't have to pay you to think too. I'd never get any return on my money.

A line can get between your outreached fingers. Will it cause an entaglement as you run the line?
That's what I love about college kids they have ALL the answers but don't even know the questions.

Back
Top Bottom