Question SP 109 Breathes like crap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all. I'm off for a couple of weeks of diving in Fiji. I'll check the spring and the other items mentioned when I return

OK Where should I source the spring?
I have a couple used 109 springs, yours for the cost of postage if you want to give them a try. Also can throw in a used diaphragm that is new version without metal plate. Maybe they would help, maybe not.

There is currently an ebay listing for new 01-020-109 spring, but it is rather expensive. The seller incorrectly lists it for 156/109/G250/G200 second stages, but it should be correct for 109 & G200 based on counting the spring coils. I think the springs are no longer available new from Scubapro?

As mentioned by axxel57 and others. Take a batch of 10-15 different used 109s (or BAs), rebuild them with new parts, then tune properly. There will be some perfomance variance across the batch. A few will breathe very nice and most of the rest will be perfectly acceptable. But every now and then I come across one that is a mediocre performer no matter what is done to it.

I have new ones, but for springs alone shipping might make it cost prohibitive. Offers there. I have a huge stock of .215, .216, .218 springs, I'm like a squirrel hoarding nuts. Every-time I place an order I buy more springs even though I don't need them🤦‍♂️
I think we are after .109 springs, you have those new?

I think we are after .109 springs, you have those new?

Comprehension fail, in my brain every thing is always updated to S-Wing poppet. Good catch.

I've nothing to offer here then 🙇

Comprehension fail, in my brain every thing is always updated to S-Wing poppet. Good catch.

I've nothing to offer here then 🙇
Same here, I have put many dives on balanced adjustables but never actually dove a 109 despite have a drawer full of them.
This thread has gotten me wanting to take a good BA and 109 on a dive together and see how they compare.

Couv (🙏🏻) and I believe @halocline have both, IIRC, said the difference is negligible.
Yes, if tuned properly...

I dove 109's before there were 156 seconds.... Same with g200 before there was the g200b...

Keep in mind, a bunch of it is about the first stage.

The point is: if fed by a top-notch first stage (say, a MK25), providing enough intermediate pressure (9 bars stable), then a properly tuned 109 performs basically the same as a 109 converted to BA.
But whenever the first stage is providing lower IP, then the BA works much better than the unmodified 109...
Frankly, I see no point in keeping a 109 unmodified: the parts for converting to BA are easily available. After conversion, tuning is much easier, and the seat lasts longer, due to the smaller spring load...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom