Question SP 109 Breathes like crap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I just rebuilt it, the only change from stock was to use the "duro" poppet

When I back the oriface out to almost where it freeflows, it feel like I'm sucking on a bar straw

The demand lever is correct, what have missed?

When I back the oriface out to almost where it freeflows, it feel like I'm sucking on a bar straw

You missed the conversion to BA...

You missed the conversion to BA...
I've been told by multiple parties that BA wasn't necessary. The reason for the duro poppet (as you know) is to get a replaceable LP seat

You get the replaceable seat also with the BA conversion.......
Check the spring, they get pretty different with time.
I have some 109s with a cracking effort of almost 0,7 inch/h2o and some I don't get to less then 1,3 inch/h2o, and the problem is not the orifice, the IP or the lever.......
You are right, the conversion is not absolute necessary, the cracking effort might be good, but the WOB can be quite different.......

New spring.

I just rebuilt a couple and did the conversion. The next one will be with the duro Poppet.

Also, do you know the history of the regulator? Can you compare the lever to make sure it's at the same angle as a working one?

Meaning that no one tried adjust the lever.

When you made the conversion from "stock" to a Duro poppet where did you get the spring? It sound to me like the spring has possibly too much tension.

Forgot to mention that of course the type of diaphragm in your 109 is crucial for the cracking effort.
If you should still use the old diaphragm with the metal plate and the rubber diaphragm, then of course you will have a quite higher cracking effort, but I guess that's the first thing you changed.
So you can still check the marks on your LP seat.
If they are very shallow ( because it's new), I still think the culprit for the bad results should be the spring.
If the marks are pretty deep, you should thoroughly check the orifice......

Back
Top Bottom