Solo.. Or No Solo?

Would you ever be tempted to dive solo?...

• hell no! I'd never do that...

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Not sure, but I dont feel comfortable with the idea.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • I might be tempted if there was a special reason.

Votes: 69 27.5%
  • No worries! Just try and stop me!

Votes: 137 54.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DORSETBOY

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Yes I know, you're only meant to solo dive with the proper training and proper redundancy of equipment but how many people have been tempted to, or actually dved solo without the necessary equipment?

answers on a postcard to the usual address... :wink:

i might add that I will dive solo on occasion.. an example was when we found a whale shark on a dive site, it was busy with divers and I was fun diving and didn't fancy having 20-30 other divers swimming all around me. Other times in this country, if i cant get a buddy to dive on the weekend and I fancy a dive I can take myself upto one of the sites up at the lochs on the west coast - shallow sites, less than 25m which I know well.

I'll dive solo at our local site - it's maximum depth is only 12 meters but usually around 8 or 9. I figure I can always make an ESA from that depth and anyway I know the site very well. I wouldn't go deeper though.

I've been tempted...but I guess having it thumped into me to never do it...I'm uncomfortable with the idea, though we have a little pong to play in near me that the max depth is 28ft or so that I would condier, but most times if you show up there, there's someone to buddy up with even if it's a trio :)

I have been considering it for depths of to 25 feet. I know several people that do.
I currently dive with only two buddies. One lives out of state and colds have kept me and the other one out of the water this year. We have a short season up here so it sound pretty tempting. But I will probably just get out the scooter and snorkel.

for those that dont but have considered it, wha's the main reason for not diving solo?

The wife is not a diver but is usually in the boat. I am just not quite ready to take the flack when I go the first time.

Recently dove Browning Wall on Vancouver Island. It is a spectacular drift dive but the current can go in many directions. My buddy and decided before the dive that we would not abort the dive if seperated. Since we were the first in we knew everyone would be coming up behind us. When I did loose track of my buddy I grabbed an outcropping of rock and hung there till all the other divers cruised by. Since none were my buddy I assumed he was in front and finished the dive. Since we are both experienced in solo diving this was no concern for either of us but I wonder if it was a bad example for others on the boat. After a similar event on the second dive someone suggested I be called "Dive-alone-Dave"

DORSETBOY:
Yes I know, you're only meant to solo dive with the proper training and proper redundancy of equipment but how many people have been tempted to, or actually dved solo without the necessary equipment?

answers on a postcard to the usual address... :wink:

Define "necessary equipment"...

Seems like a loaded question to me....

Do I answer yes because I've dived solo, or do I answer no because I feel I have the "necessary" equipment?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom