Instructor vs Solo Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen PADI instructors teaching self-reliant courses more than once with spare airs,
I hope you reported this.

I am assuming you have never read the SDI standards for Solo, which say,

"5. Equipment for Solo Diving
a. Redundant air sources: pony cylinder, twin cylinders with isolation, independent doubles, SpareAir™"​

Of course it is not enough air, which is why I never allowed it when teaching SDI Solo.

Go find something else to be pissy about.
Out of interest. If someone was to take the solo diving course. What would your preference be for redundant air source? Pony cylinder, twin cylinders with isolation or independent doubles.

Wow! You must have seen one Hell of a lot of courses being taught by both SDI and PADI instructors all ovrr the world to make generalizations like that. It is hard to imagine how extensive your experience must be! How many such courses do you think you have seen? 30,000? 40,000? How long did it take you to observe all of those?
Wow! What part of an N of 1 did you not understand?

I hope you reported this.
I wasn't an instructor and didn't know it was a violation when I did... I would today, though after doing a QM complaint on an instructor who taught for a year and a quarter without renewing, and using other instructors #'s to certify students; and seeing that PADI took no action against him, I'm not exactly all tingly about PADI's willingness to do anything about standards violations.

Imho, spare air is more than enough for most dives people do, remember that self reliant and solo diver are both meant for recreational dives only.
With a sac of 20 a 1l spare air will give you around 3 minutes of air at 20m, that's more than enough time to ascend unless you are diving well beyond the self reliant or solo diver limits and putting yourself into places and situations you have no business being in. Last time I sat in a solo diver class the instructor was teaching rules of thirds in regards to your bailout tank, he was not amused when I put the numbers on paper for him and explained that he expected people to bring a stage and a twinset of equal size on a dive, and then just dive the stage in 20 meters of water.

The only reason PADI explicitly forbids it is because scuba snobs pretend like every recreational dive should be done in tec dive gear with tec dive planing.

With a sac of 20 a 1l spare air will give you around 3 minutes of air at 20m, that's more than enough time to ascend
? A SAC of 20 in what units? I don't see how one gets more than a few breaths at most.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom