Instructor vs Solo Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just read through this entire thread and I do have to agree with an OW instructor essentially diving solo. Especially on OWD1. Now, does that mean they can and should dive solo? No way! Yes, students are close so you can grab their AAS in case of shark attack but to think a student on the first ocean dive could help in any way is naïve.

I find it funny that some have commented that the first time students learn SAC rate calculation and dive planning is in technical diving. As a RAID instructor, my students have to learn to calculate SAC and RMV for every dive. They then use these numbers to plan subsequent dives. It is part of the standards. Remember, generalizations can be dangerous.

As far as solo diving goes, I do it often here. Never did it anyplace else I have lived or worked but I do it here when looking for new sites or out exploring for macro critters and octopus. I am not a certified solo diver or self-reliant diver. RAID does not have a course for that. I am however an OC Deco 50 with trimix instructor, a sidemount instructor and if I am not teaching or on my CCR, I only dive sidemount. The only thing I can't solve underwater myself while in my SM config would be a medical event. But if I am teaching OW and have a medical event, can I rely on my students to know what to do or to even try and get me to the surface? Or do they go to the surface and leave me there?

That last line or two was just me thinking out loud.

Or take all your valuable dive gear and tell no one. :wink:

They are open water students, they don't yet know just how valuable my gear is :p

Dive Friends also offers the PADI Self-Reliant course, in case you want to compare/contrast the cost and time. I did mine 5 years back with Jeffrey Hesselink out of their downtown Dive Inn location. He was an excellent instructor.

Also, in my personal experience on Bonaire, I have always been able to rent a pony tank from the SDI shop located at Captain Don's without anyone asking to see my cert card. By contrast, Dive Friends is very strict about the rental of their pony tanks and will always ask to see and require a solo or self-reliant certification.
Thanks for the additional info on Dive Friends...!!

Regarding the Pony rentals at Capt Dons, are these 13 or 19's and are you back mounting? Assuming back mounted, do they also rent the mounting hardware and what mounting system do they use?

I personally use the Quickdraw system, bring my own 19 or 13 and a transfill whip...... But the added overall weight to bring all of this, including my Pony reg is between 13 and 15 lbs...

I've considered just slinging an AL 63 but when solo and considering some of the rougher shore entries on Bonaire I just prefer the back mount. Also, for me personally, the back mount is more "friendly" for using my video system and hovering in low and close to subjects....

ykFd6Mx.jpg

f5ZVTht.jpg

xwcxhDU.jpg

They are open water students, they don't yet know just how valuable my gear is :p
Okay then. They strip you down to your birthday suit and leave your naked carcass as fish food! :wink:

Thanks for the additional info on Dive Friends...!!

Regarding the Pony rentals at Capt Dons, are these 13 or 19's and are you back mounting? Assuming back mounted, do they also rent the mounting hardware and what mounting system do they use?

I personally use the Quickdraw system, bring my own 19 or 13 and a transfill whip...... But the added overall weight to bring all of this, including my Pony reg is between 13 and 15 lbs...

I've considered just slinging an AL 63 but when solo and considering some of the rougher shore entries on Bonaire I just prefer the back mount. Also, for me personally, the back mount is more "friendly" for using my video system and hovering in low and close to subjects....

ykFd6Mx.jpg

f5ZVTht.jpg

xwcxhDU.jpg
Captain Don's are 19cf and are equipped for attaching and slinging to D Rings from bolt snaps. At least the ones that I have always used. Not saying they don't have what you are looking for, but I don't think so. I bring my own additional 1st and 2nd stage in order to significantly lower the cost. Just paying for a daily rental of the pony tank. Something like this, but on a 13 or 19 cf pony.

1674088339734.png

Back
Top Bottom