Solo.. Or No Solo?

Would you ever be tempted to dive solo?...

• hell no! I'd never do that...

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Not sure, but I dont feel comfortable with the idea.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • I might be tempted if there was a special reason.

Votes: 69 27.5%
  • No worries! Just try and stop me!

Votes: 137 54.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
This is why I prefer to donate the reg in my mouth. If you don't have time to signal or I don't see your signal, just take it. My backup is bungied right under my chin so you won't inconvenience me at all.

I agree that a normal ascent is simpler but sharing air should not be difficult for any certified diver.

same here on the bungee configuration on my neck and on taking my primary 2nd stage. i at times even use an 7 ft long hose and have used it several times to donate. and it really allows you to watch on the other divers as the long hose gives you ample movement than a regular length hose.

There was a lot of posts in this thread on solo diving which I feel totally missed the point since anyone who runs out of air on a solo dive should not have attemped the dive in the first place because he obviously lacked air management skills. In hundreds of dives both buddy and solo I have never come near an OOA situation. The only OOA situation on a solo dive that I can contemplate happening is either entrapment or regulator failure. In the entrapment situation nothing other than an unlimited air supply will eliminate the risk because a pony or doubles may not be enough for a self rescue. The regulator failure is very remote but manageable.

Captain

Adder70,
In you note of 1 August 2004 you made mention of the "fate as Kevin Boo, the former director of Scuba at the University of Florida." I have been attempting to track down a high school friend of mine by the name of Kevin Book who was a brown belt in Judo and attended U of F. We lost contact in 1984. I found out today that U of F has held a "Kevin Book Memorial" Judo on at least three occations (1997, 2001, and 2003). Do you know if these two Kevin's are one in the same? Do you know where I could find more information on the diving accident?

Thank you very much for your time and assistance in this matter.

RoninThunder

adder70:
Don't think of snorkeling solo as not diving solo. It can be just as dangerous, especially if you are freediving. I am sure experienced free divers understand and can explain shallow water blackout. Essentially, you get to where you are awake at depth, but the partial pressure of oxygen is not sufficient to keep you conscious at a shallower depth. Thus you will pass out as you head toward the surface. With others around, your natural body reactions will close your throat, and you can simply be brought to the surface where you should spontaneously begin breathing again. When alone, you could easily suffer the same fate as Kevin Book, the former director of Scuba at the University of Florida. He was free diving alone at night at the Ginnie basin (~24 ft IIRC) and experienced shallow water blackout. Being alone and apparently negatively buoyant, it took a bit for the nearby people floating in a raft to realize that he hadn't surfaced and to then see his light on the bottom.

This is proof that diving with or without scuba gear does not suffer fools. If you break the basic rules, you take great risk, and stand a good chance of being remembered for your mistake, not the many successful cave dives you completed and the many safe divers you trained.

mempilot:
Sounds like my, "Is it time for a beer yet?" Answered by "It's 5:00 somewhere in the world." :)

But . . .You never say that before 11:00AM LZ.

Stan

MikeFerrara:
. . . It seems to me that a better fix would be to do a better job of teaching team diving in basic dive training. You know? have divers actually do it in training rather than mindlessly follow a DM or instructor around for 20 minutes. . .

On this part I could not agree more. The question is, "Will agencies be able to train (and students be willing to pay) an OW diver to a level where when they get a c-card, they are a competent buddy. Today a c-card is like a student driving permit. It allows the holder to learn how to dive with only a very basic level of competence.

Knowledge alone is not competence, nor will it give a beginner judgement. Sometimes I think a new c-card diver should be restricted in depth as well as being required to be accompanied by a diver with at least 50 dives in the last 2 years, for their first 20 dives.

OK, that soapbox is coming off bub, no, don't . . . try . . . to stop me . . .

Stan

Back
Top Bottom