So who on the board has made a dif to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are so many...

PennyPue - she was the first to answer my first post and when she offered to sail the seven seas with me it made my adventures seem worth reading - she made me smile.

SuprBugman - his seemingly never ending energy and his desire for adventure and finding the free dive makes me smile.

Sea Yoda - his absoutely wonderful photography and his passion for the sport makes me smile.

Rick Murchison and The Kraken - knowing that there are futzes out there more ancient than me makes me smile.

Walter - being confident that someone other than me might remember Frankie Wingert makes me smile.

Dandy Don - Anyone with the courage to wear a hat like that makes me smile.

Oh heck - I could go on and on.

As a newer diver I have gotten a lot from a lot of information and help from many Scubaboard members. Most of the diving I do is travel related and I find the following Scubaboard to be a great source of local information:

Diver Dennis for Puerto Vallarta

Kidspot for Maui

Christi for Cozumel

Dang this is a nice thread. I have been especially honored to have been mentioned a few times, and the reasons given were fine for me...
Dandy Don - Anyone with the courage to wear a hat like that makes me smile.
grinning-smiley-029.gif

Clearly ScubaBoard has been a big part of my life over the past five years. And through my associations on ScubaBoard I've made some wonderful friends ... many of whom I have yet to meet in person, some of whom hosted me or came out to meet me when I went to California this past spring, and others who've travelled long distances to stay at my home at one point or another throughout the year.

Sure, it's just an Internet board ... a place to hang with cyber buddies and all ... but in truth we meet some wonderful folks who we'd not likely ever have met but for ScubaBoard.

I've had some time to think about that today, as I spent the day at Uncle Pug's home having a wonderful time with his family ... as well as with OE2X, TSandM and Peter Guy. These people have been more than just dive buddies, they've been friends. These are the people I'd most want by my side if I were to find myself in a tough situation underwater ... because they have been by my side through the speedbumps that life sometimes tosses in our path. People do make impressions. And more often than not, it isn't their training, gear choices, or even skill level that makes the biggest impression ... it's their character ... (and I have to say I've met some real characters through ScubaBoard) ... :wink:

I've been blessed with mentors, students, friends, and associates ... all of whom made impressions on me, and helped me develop as a diver and scuba instructor. A significant number of these people are active on ScubaBoard ... and have picked up the mantle of mentor in their own right.

Tonight I feel particularly fortunate, as I've just learned that a group of my current and former students got together and got me a couple of charter trips as a Christmas present ... I didn't realize that Santa was that gullible ... :eyebrow:

A Merry Christmas to all ... and to all ... good night ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

At the risk of letting this be a "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" I have to say Tom Smedley has meant a lot to my diving over the years. Our continued friendly competition to discover new and interesting things under water, to find the most enjoyment in every dive, to be the one who shares the most with the folks who dive with us and to produce the most enthusiastic and competent graduates from our Scuba courses has been and continues to be an enriching dive - and life - experience.
I've picked up so many useful nuggets here on SB in the last six years it would be impossible to ennumerate them accurately and it would be folly to try to remember everyone who's contributed.
Certainly "Pug's Bunch" in the northwest has been big in the contribution arena.
I found Chickdiver and her Trimix class here.
The Kraken's enthusiastic support of Vortoberfest has made that event a smashing success. The entire Vortoberfest bunch - I chuckle whenever I think of the fun there.
Scuba Jenny took me for a memorable and wonderful dive in the Atlantic surf.
All the Mods whose tireless efforts keep the board "healthy and happy" - BZ to all of you.
Mike Ferrara, Thalassamania, Doc Intrepid leap to mind as voices of reason... usually... :) There are many many others whose indulgence I must beg for not mentioning them by name.
Bottom line: I give ScubaBoard an A+ as a "diving enrichment" resource.
And... lest there be any doubt... Smedley is much, much older than I am.
Rick

Oh yes - Matt the Aquaman (FNA Matt the Wonder Boy) Proving to me that dreams come true when you work for it makes me smile.

Ross the blind man and John who entered diving past 80 are not on the board but they make me laugh with joy

Scuba Rangers and their curiosity and enthusiasm for life itself makes me stand up and cheer.

Gotta love it!!

OK, I'm going to have to say, "Uncle Ricky".

He has reinforced those things that I learned so long ago.

A voice of reason, a voice of compassion, and a voice of calm.

If one has a voice of "calm" all the others come naturally.

the K

And Moonie!
How could I forget Moonie???
AAaarrggghhh!
Rick :D

Alcina, Warren L and Jamdiver for insightful UW photography discussions...

Rick Murchison:
And Moonie!
How could I forget Moonie???
AAaarrggghhh!
Rick :D

Aaaah yes Rick, who could forget Moonie in the Philippines? Flirting with the waitresses until they start fighting over him, causing a riot and finally being arrested?????

Moonie1.jpg

Moonie2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom