So, I booked my BD trip to Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oops, neglected to say that I am flying back out of CUN. I've flown From PHX many times though not passed through it. Really not fun getting through security, but I'll stay within American's zone, so should be a piece 'o cake. Haha.
Ah ha. Have you been to Cozumel before? Returning from Cancun means that you have to ferry to PDC, then travel 35 miles and be there two hours before your flight even if things go wrong crossing or on the road. I did it once escaping Hurricane Dean. taking the first boat in the morning, then paying too much for a gypsy cab but I was desperate. I was lucky and got there plenty early, walked thru a lobby full of people who had been in line all night. Good luck.

Ah ha. Have you been to Cozumel before? Returning from Cancun means that you have to ferry to PDC, then travel 35 miles and be there two hours before your flight even if things go wrong crossing or on the road. I did it once escaping Hurricane Dean. taking the first boat in the morning, then paying too much for a gypsy cab but I was desperate. I was lucky and got there plenty early, walked thru a lobby full of people who had been in line all night. Good luck.
Wow, now there's a saga. I don't plan on any hurricanes in January:) Plan to spend the night on the mainland after a day trying out freediving with a company in PDC. Flight doesn't leave until evening, so I'll have time to laze about AND lots of hours to get to airport - AND I can avoid DFW, which I cannot do if I fly from CZM. Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated.

I can avoid DFW, which I cannot do if I fly from CZM.
What's wrong with DFW? Texas weather can cause problems for American's headquarters there or United's in Houston, especially in wintertime, but otherwise DFW handles traffic better than many others I think.

So, after starting my trip plan with plane ticket and trip insurance purchases way back in April, I've watching to see what the airline would do to me as they will do whatever they want to do to people, like making my quick change going now a three hour linger and cutting my return change with I&C from two hours to one - which they did. I've also been watching fares to see how much I saved buying that early. Today, four days before departure, I see that American would still sell me a ticket for those dates for $363 RT including a huge load of hidden taxes and fees, but only if I'd take an overnight stop in DFW, which I won't. The flights I reserved would cost me $616 on AA, but United has better both ways for $474, so my $312 purchase was a good investment altho not a great one. I could have bought that better ticket from United last week for $300 something, but you never know how fares are going to evolve.

It's time to start pre-packing so I'll be sure to have everything I need to go when I do pack Sunday and Monday. I told a bank teller the other day that I needed assorted bills for a trip to Cozumel and quickly asked by all three ladies working if I had room for them. 🤣

The 10-day weather outlook looks good for here and there for now. Never again will I ignore the experts when they warn that a Cat-5 or any hurricane is heading to my destination. Now to see if the airline fails me Tuesday and reroutes me thru Cancun which would cause me to cancel my dive plans for Wednesday as I know I'd be exhausted. I need to decide and make reservations for the Mayan Bee Sanctuary and the Pirate Ship.

Ok, I'm checked in. Their site should be changed to request Alerts for all flights to the same mobile number, but I had to put that in five different times. I thought they'd collect luggage fees at the time of check-in, but nope - at the airport. It's not like them to miss a day of holding my money. I registered as a Volunteer to take later flights if needed, but it'll take more than the $200-350 mentioned as I know that means volunteering to go thru Cancun. I once turned down $1,000 for such as I was too tired to deal with it, but I'd do it for a grand this time.

They are really playing hardball on selling seats. I thought the computer would assign them on check-in, hopefully with a chance to change then, but nope - at the gate. Okee dokee, we'll see.

... but I'd do it for a grand this time.
A $1000 flight "credit" but they sneak past a special provision that it expires in 9 months. Want to see passengers jump over seat backs? Have the captain wave real hundred dollar bills walking up and down the aisle just like the TV show " The Price Is Right " LOL !!

So my first flight was on time, unlike many other trips. They said be at the airport 3 hours before flight for international. I got here 2-1/2 hours before - an hour before the desk opened! I weighed my bags on their scales while waiting. One was 48-1/2 #, the other was 47-1/2. Close. Ha! We used the other scales: 44# & 43#. Oops. Don't they calibrate those?

American is really tough on Economy seat assignments. I had to wait until I got to the boarding area before I finally got the first one - 21C. At least it’s an aisle even tho at the rear. I do have one assigned for the second flight over the water: middle seat at the back. Ugh! I think I'll spend more on main cabin next time. I'm just six days shy of my 75th birthday but I couldn't get the lady Tsa agent to give me a pass on my belt and shoes like the agents all did in May. Next week!

Ha again. I guess American decided they were punishing me too harshly for buying Economy. I got moved to 9C. Nice. Arrived DFW early for my 3 hour layover. Always an adventure. Now I'm chilling at the boarding gate.

BOARDED. It wasn't the last row but next to last, and the plane is not full so I got three seats. And I love being at the back since we deplane from front and rear both.

Ok that didn't work as hoped. Offloading from front only. Oh well, made it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom