Anyone going to be in Coz week of 10/12 and have any thoughts on the weather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well the port is closed (all waters around the island) as of 8PM last night.

1729153758284.png

And the weather going forward does not look good. The direction appears to be shifting East, tomorrow, but the speed is still pretty fierce.

1729153936111.png

Well the port is closed (all waters around the island) as of 8PM last night.

View attachment 865928

And the weather going forward does not look good. The direction appears to be shifting East, tomorrow, but the speed is still pretty fierce.

View attachment 865929

Is the harbor still closed (noon Thursday)? I am occasionally seeing small boats go by on the Presidente webcam.

Is the harbor still closed (noon Thursday)? I am occasionally seeing small boats go by on the Presidente webcam.
PC:

Good morning, from 0700 the navigation of small recreational sports and fishing vessels is permitted, but extreme caution must be taken during navigation due to the presence of local storms that could cause showers, strong gusts of wind, high waves, electrical activity and reduced visibility. You must remain attentive to the warnings issued by the port authority.

I was suprised but it looked pretty calm per your web cam. Sounds like they may have changed port Captain again.

To answer my own question I looked up a closure notice from last spring and the port captain name on the document was different so it appears that with a new dive season we have a new sheriff in town.
Around this time last year the last port Captain was a couple of weeks into the job and tried to be fair and kept the port open in the morning with a warning that it would probably close in the afternoon and got burned. A pirate boat returning from Cielo, overloaded and 5-6 hours into the closure swapped in front of downtown while meanwhile a fishing boat up off the northern light house sunk with fatalities. After that he was very conservative (but not unreasonable). Hopefully the current Captain will be safe but reasonable with his closures.

Harbor opened up this morning and we got in 2 nice dives! Lots of squals ad the is up and down. Hopeful we can get in 2 more days before we leave Monday afternoon.
Overall the weather has been hot and very little wind until yesterday. We have squeezed in 10 dives in 4 days so we are very happy!
Our first time at Blue Angel and they are fantastic. Everyone is helpful and friendly. Marcos is very patient and indulgent with our slow pace as we look for the small stuff.

Port closure late yesterday wiped out hope of a night dive with 3P. Opened this morning wiping out plans for a leisurely breakfast but we had a smooth dive day. Looks closed again later in the day with no traffic seen from Barracuda except for what looked like a small Navy craft bouncing through rollers not far from shore with water over the bow. Smoother now at 7:00 pm and hope to dive tomorrow.

Port was open this morning. We caught the 10am boat. First civet they took us all the way out to Columbia deep. Given the rain and wind we were pleasantly surprised. Second dive was cedral. Great dives but the viz was maybe only 50'
We surfaced to heavy rain and wind and were told the harbor was closing at 2.
So far 12 dives in 5 days. Feeling lucky.
Looking at the weather forecast we might not be so lucky for our last 2 days for diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom