Snorkelling with a Canon A570, Pulau Weh, Sumatra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bora_Horza

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just been going through my pics taken at Iboih Beach, Pulau Weh, Sumatra in May 2008. I spent a good amount of time snorkelling, getting used to the camera and all that, so here are a few pics I took.

At the time I thought not necessarily spectacular subjects, but when you get back home you realise the fairly 'common' things you see out there are actually really cool!

goldbatfish.JPG

UW_Batfish8.jpg

pink_cucumber.JPG

brown_starfish.JPG

cardinalfish1.JPG

crownofthorns.JPG

reflections1.JPG

batfishies.JPG

pinkstarfish01.JPG

Very nice shots - the colors are great.

Did you do much adjusting to the White Balance or are your colors so darn good because you were so close to the surface?

Hi moeronn, I had the camera set on the UW mode, on auto. I think I also selected the macro/closeup option. I never got round to properly using the white balance. There was plenty of sun and good viz, as you can see in the 'experimental' pic below :)

I also understand the UW mode adds more red to the pics, which sometimes is OK, but for instance I don't remember the above 'reflections' pic#7 being quite so orange - should be a more brown really. Ah well, still looks nice!

experiment.JPG

pairofparrots.JPG

black_seaslug1.JPG

Loinfish01.JPG

Hi bruzbabe, I like the camera, and as I've only really used 'point and shoot' film cameras before I found it fairly straight forward to get used to. It takes great pics above and below water, and the 'movie clip' mode is better quality than I was expecting. It goes through batteries quite fast, so having a battery charger and a couple of sets of NiMH AA batteries are essential accessories - a set of these would last me 2 dives / 1 day. I've read on this forum that production of this camera has been discontinued though, I think the followup model is the A720 or something? Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom