Trip Report Casa Mexicana & Jungle Divers Macro Hunting May 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I hadn't seen a review specifically for Casa Mexicana and thought it might be helpful.

We really liked this hotel. The bed was comfortable, the breakfast was great (included typical Mexican breakfast fare, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, an omelet station where they also can make eggs to order, toast, juice and coffee), a pool (that we never went to but looked nice) with a bar nearby but not open at night.

We were in room 501, which was on the top floor and in the southwest corner of the hotel. With the sliders closed we heard very little noise from the street. There is a home owner who keeps their three dogs (maybe doodle dogs?) on their roof and they bark off and on all day, but mostly quiet at night. We had a great deck to dry our clothes and gear, which also had a great view of sunset. Cruise ships came in during the day but were gone before sunset. During our trip there was never more than one ship at port downtown.

Bring extension cords and/or power strips as the rooms have only a few outlets. Linen service was hit or miss. We had either a hand towel or washcloths, but not both! Didn't bother us as long as we had a towel for a shower and then to wrap gear to get it to the deck without dripping water across the floor.

New restaurants we tried - La Cocay was great - we went back a second time; Cielito Grill was also very good and we'll return; Thirsty Cougar was a huge disappointment, as was Casa Cuzamil, sadly; we had been to Guido's before and went there again this trip. It seems the further you get from Melgar the better the prices and often, the better the food. We only went places within walking distance.

I'm including a link to a youtube for pics I took of the hotel, and another that are underwater pics. The videos included in both are poor - maybe I chose the wrong speed? Technology!

Casa Mexicana

Macro Week Pics - btw, the pic of the yellow head jawfish spitting out sand was total dumb luck. I was hoping for eggs and happened to hit the shutter at the right time. Fun! Irritated on some of the macro shots - camera has a hard time figuring out what to focus on with some subjects and I'm still figuring out how to get things in focus and keep it there. :wink: And I'm noticing the quality of the youtube isn't spectacular either. I might repost some of my better shots directly here. I wish it was easy to upload a bunch of pics to ScubaBoard but I haven't figured out how to do that in one shot.

Cielito, on 5th Ave at c3? When we were there a month ago the place was gutted. When were you there?

What was the disappointment with Casa Cuzamil and Thirsty Cougar?

Awesome, glad you had a nice trip.

I too enjoyed Casa Mexicana, and stayed on high floor which was quiet and peaceful, but I did not get the ocean view, which definitely looks to be worth it.

Nice review! Definitely interested in hearing about what you had at Casa Cuzamil -- it's become one of our must-visit restaurants each trip, largely for their seafood molcajete.

Nice review! Definitely interested in hearing about what you had at Casa Cuzamil -- it's become one of our must-visit restaurants each trip, largely for their seafood molcajete.
Likewise, we have been to Casa Cuzamil a few times and we always enjoyed it. One time, we were sitting upstairs there in a pretty big rainstorm; that was very cool.

Cielito, on 5th Ave at c3? When we were there a month ago the place was gutted. When were you there?

What was the disappointment with Casa Cuzamil and Thirsty Cougar?
I took notes.

Casa Cuzamil - Chips were stale - and you have to pay $40 pesos for them when they're usually free at other restaurants; my Hibiscus tea tasted like Nestea out of a can (I'd had a hibiscus water at La Conchita that was yummy and was hoping for something like that); I ordered mole Cuzamil - two chicken breasts on the ribs - mole was great! Why can’t we get avocados this good at home?; R ordered mahi mahi w rice & beans - said it was good - $720 pesos for chips & pico, mole cuzamil, mahi mahi, hibiscus tea, and a margarita.

Thirsty Cougar - waiter padded his tip (I authorized 15% and he added 30 pesos to it) - guacamole tasted like they added flour and beans tasted like they were out of a can

Cielito - we were there last Friday (the 19th) - they're on the corner, right next to Casa Cuzamil at 3 & 5 - $730 pesos for a long island iced tea, bottle of water, my 4 Moles appetizer, chica bowl of crema de chile poblano (yummy and wasn't really that small a bowl), fajitas for R, and two bowls of ice cream.

Maybe we hit a bad day? It happens.

We were in room 501, which was on the top floor and in the southwest corner of the hotel.
Just my opinion, but 501 is the best room/view/outside balcony at Casa Mexicana and the one I reserve & pre-ask for on every visit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom