Trip Report Tompotika Dive Resort - December 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you been to Monado/Bunaken/Bangka, North Sulawesi and if so, how do you compare Tompotika and North Sulawesi?
yes , I have been in Manado two times ( 2008 - 2013 ) and one time near Bankga ( 2010 ) .
Because so many years ago I don't have so clear memories , anyway I don't remember anything really special from Bunaken National park or at least nothing so interesting as to make me think of returning . Yes some nice wall , nice sea fan and sponges but so many divers , a lot of trash , not so many fish .
Instead I have some good memories of Bangka even if I rate Tompotika better because more fishy and more unspoiled , and no other divers around .

Thank you for your reply, what would you say was the WOW factor that was missing that you had in Raja / Triton / Alor that you didn't find there?
Sorry to ask many questions, just curious and interested in your opinion.
Thanks to give me the opportunity to explain what is for me the WOW factor .
( ....please consider this is only my personal opinion ... ! )

The WOW factor in Triton Bay is the link between the above the water / below the water world and the abundance of so many dramatic seascape in few meters of water .

I usually prefer to explain it with some photos , these are from Triton Bay :
( and of course the whale shark is a big wow factor itself )

IMG_6440-2.jpg

_MG_2070-2-2.jpg

IMG_6984-2.jpg

_MG_1357.jpg

IMG_8483-2.jpg

and for Macro Triton Bay is unbeatable if you like pygmy sea horse

IMG_7579-3.jpg

_MG_3226-2.jpg

IMG_8181.jpg

IMG_8127-1.jpg

_MG_2906.jpg

Thanks for the excellent trip report and for bringing up a diving location that's not well known. Amazing photos! You have a very good eye for composition.

the WOW factor in Raja Ampat are once again the incredible transition between the marine and terrestrial worlds , the school of fish so well "organized " and the wide seascape full of life .

Here some photos from Raja Ampat :

_MG_8118_openWith-2.jpg

IMG_4249.jpg

_MG_9804.jpg

_MG_9791_openWith (2).jpg

_MG_9870.jpg

In Alor the WOW factor is the abundance of hard coral and so great visibility .
The human interaction with the underwater world is also a nice wow factor over there .

Again some photos , there form Alor :

_MG_1290.jpg

_MG_1347.jpg

14082016-IMG_5252.jpg

Thank you for sharing, I have never been to Triton Bay nor Tompotika but I hope to visit them some day! I would add the wow factor in Alor is the variety of diving in a concentrated area, from muck diving in the bay to caves, to stunning coral reefs and the chance for pelagics such as thresher shark, hammerhead shark, mola mola, dolphins, giant trevallies, etc. It's hard to get bored. And the visibility is definitely something unique in Alor.
How do you rank Komodo with these destinations? And have you been to Halmahera?

Thank you for sharing, I have never been to Triton Bay nor Tompotika but I hope to visit them some day! I would add the wow factor in Alor is the variety of diving in a concentrated area, from muck diving in the bay to caves, to stunning coral reefs and the chance for pelagics such as thresher shark, hammerhead shark, mola mola, dolphins, giant trevallies, etc. It's hard to get bored. And the visibility is definitely something unique in Alor.
How do you rank Komodo with these destinations? And have you been to Halmahera?
Yes , I have to dive Alor again and for more time . I have had just a taste of that place .

I have never been in Komodo .... but planned for next August 2024 ( ... finger crossed .. ) .

I was in Halmahera ( Weda resort ) in 2019 : great experience .
Here my album if you like to see ( Weda Halmahera WIDE - April 2019 ) .
Very healthy reef , full of fish , great visibility . Unfortunately that resort is now closed .
Have you been there ? where do you suggest me to go ?

many thanks
Paolo

Oh that’s a shame about Weda, i think it’s the same owner as Lembeh Lodge? We liked Lembeh Lodge very much. Do you know why they had to close? I was researching some new places in Sali Bay, Kusu Island Resort, so there are on my list now Tompotika, Triton Bay and Halmahera that I haven’t been that interest me in Indonesia. And Banda.
The places I loved the most so far in Indonesia have been Raja Ampat and Alor. Komodo is great and has a lot of reef mantas but the oceanic are in Raja. And Komodo is becoming way too crowded. So personally I like Alor better than Komodo, less crowded and you see many things you don’t see in Komodo, there are just no mantas in Alor but there are eagle rays, mobula, huge marble rays. So next I need to try Halmahera, Tompotika and Triton Bay.

yes , I have been in Manado two times ( 2008 - 2013 ) and one time near Bankga ( 2010 ) .
Because so many years ago I don't have so clear memories , anyway I don't remember anything really special from Bunaken National park or at least nothing so interesting as to make me think of returning . Yes some nice wall , nice sea fan and sponges but so many divers , a lot of trash , not so many fish .
Instead I have some good memories of Bangka even if I rate Tompotika better because more fishy and more unspoiled , and no other divers around .

Thank you for your reply. I am not a fan of Bunaken either but figured that I should throw it in, since I was looking for comparison to the area. Bangka is my love.

Back
Top Bottom