Trip Report St Thomas USVI 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Telegaster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This trip report is based on my experience from 2021, which I took meticulous notes of but failed to post (essentially, I thought I had but hadn't) while the COVID situation has changed some of the logistics of getting there I have confirmed that my account of the trip still has information which is up to date as of this posting.
Background
In 2020 a group of my friends and colleagues put forth plans to travel to the USVI the next year, at the time we were all healthcare workers struggling through the peak of the pandemic and developing a distant goal gave us something to look forward to. Ultimately this led to four of us becoming scuba certified with the intent to dive during the vacation. By the time of the trip we had 4 certified (albeit novice) OW divers, three non divers one of whom ultimately did a 'discover scuba' experience and the other two simply snorkeled, two full days of diving were scheduled with Red hook dive center. The reason for choosing St Thomas was twofold: First, it was relatively easy to travel to during the pandemic versus many other locations, with no requirement for covid 19 testing prior to flying back to the US nor passport requirements. Second, my parents loved st Thomas and had traveled there several times with me when I was a child, I was eager to revisit the island as an adult.

Accommodations
Our group found housing on the east end of the island at sapphire beach. When I previously stayed there as a child this was a mixed resort/timeshare which, upon closing due to mismanagement has been rebranded as exclusively condos. Rental of these condos is done predominantly through Airbnb and what was once the hotel lobby/check-in has been turned into an independent coffee shop and bar that serves the beach. The Condos are heterogeneous, with some being updated and refinished and others essentially unchanged from when I visited them in the late 90's, ours was updated and very nice. Overall pricing was fairly reasonable vs a resort with our full stay at a condo costing ~1000 USD, when checking the prices in 2024 it appears ~$200 more expensive. I would make a point of only staying at 'superhost' locations as a detailed review of many other Airbnb condos did reveal several scams where people arrived to find a notification that their host had died and their reservation was cancelled, on of these individuals at the margaritaville condo appeared to have died no less than 5 times in the last year, god rest her soul x5.

Dining
Food was the responsibility of the renter and our regular areas to eat were the Beach buzz cafe (breakfast sandwiches, coffee, good but expensive) Sudis restaurant (great atmosphere and service, average food, average price) and the sapphire beach bar, which served typical faux-tiki carribean cocktails, these could all be comfortably walked to.
There are groceries at red hook, the closest town and while expensive (all food is, relatively speaking, expensive on ST Thomas) they are much cheaper than eating out for every meal. As far as restaurants worth visiting we found Duffy's loveshack to be the best balance of atmosphere, food price/quality, they had excellent cocktails as well. We also went to an italian place in redhook (pesce I think) and it was ok, there are several bars there that serve food as well, the quality of it varied from dive bar food to pretty good- the prices were higher than domestic US equivalents but not egregious. The most expensive meal we had was at Mirador at point pleasant, which was very expensive and had excellent food, if you aren't on a budget or want to do an anniversary dinner this would be a reasonable place to consider. Overall I would consider dining in st thomas to be expensive but not dismal in quality- comparing it to domestic US options I would be disappointed, for comparison i would say cozumel had substantially better and more well priced options. Credit cards were widely accepted.

Transportation
Intra-island Transport options in St Thomas break down to either using private taxis (usually vans) or renting a vehicle. We opted to use the taxis and some of the people on our trip ended up so bothered by the taxi experience that they really can't get past it when we reflect upon it. Notably, the taxis charge per person, not per trip, the charge is essentially an active negotiation every time (is this a $10 hill today or a $4 hill) and just overall felt unsavory to US citizens not used to haggling. I did feel like I was consistently being ripped off but the amount of money was not enough to bother me, I justified not getting hung up on it because I figured this money was likely going towards the local economy or feeding/educating the drives children so I didn't sweat it- but some of our group still gets riled up thinking about it. Be aware that neighboring St John has fixed prices for taxi-vans and there is no room/tolerance for negotiation.

Renting a vehicle is probably what I would do next time, although the roads are challenging and the situation is worsened by left hand driving combined with american exported vehicles, but the ability to explore the island yourself/the reassurance of transportation independence would be worth it to me.

Walking is not considered a reasonable option on any of the roads between towns. We frequently walked the mile from our condo to redhook and were considered having a deathwish for doing it by expats and locals- mainly due to a lack of infrastructure for pedestrians combined with the driving habits of the islanders. , I personally did not consider it to be any more pedestrian unfriendly than many situations I've encountered in the US.

It is worth noting that we did have the opportunity to visit a local place in a strip mall near the main city, Charlotte Amallie which was by far the best food we had on the trip, and amongst the cheapest. This is something I definitely would explore further if I returned to st Thomas.

The Dives:

Red Hook Dive Center was easy to communicate with, answering both phone calls and emails promptly during the planning stages and communicating clearly during those calls. We did a total of two days diving with them, both times with AM and PM dives (2 tanks each) for a total of 8 tanks/dives during the vacation, price was $100 per tan I believe but has gone up since then, we dove room air but nitrox was available. My fiance and I dove with our own equipment but the vast majority otherwise rented and there were no witnessed complications with the rental gear. The boat and accommodations were good, with full sun coverage on the boat, provided anti-fog, mid dive fruit, fresh water to wash camera gear and showers/locker rooms at the center. The dives were fairly shallow overall with no opportunity to exceed 60 feet due to the geography of the sites. Generally these dives were of the 'tour guide' variety in which dive guides had the group follow along until it was time to surface, the dives were of good length (~50minutes with novice divers/gashogs) and no one in the group complained about surfacing with extra gas (I was at about 1000, my fiance at 800.) I don't particularly like being stuck on a guide and if you are a more advanced diver that may be worth discussing with the dive center ahead of time. Professionalism and pre briefings from the crew were excellent and I really enjoyed the RHDC crew overall. As far as flora and fauna st Thomas is probably close to key largo, far exceeded by belize or cozumel. Coral health was overall poor, most animal life is standard reef fare. I saw a fair number of moray eels, a turtle, rays, many parrotfish. Rock formations off of Little St James (yes, THAT one) were enjoyable to navigate and there were a couple swimthroughs that were nice. Visibility was consistently excellent.

Environmental exposure was not an issue and I was well served with a rash guard and swim trunks. 3mm is about as thick as I'd recommend here.

I would warn divers to prepare for rough surface conditions depending on what side of the island the boat heads toward, our group became so sick the first day that we had genuine concern about our ability to tolerate the next days dive. This was ameliorated with bonine/meclizine and we did well the next day- I would recommend this medication if diving in this region regardless of prior history of seasickness.

overall, I would rate the quality of the dives I encountered in this descending order. (Belize=Cozumel)>(Key Largo=St Thomas)

Shore/Snorkel

Amidst our trip we snorkeled quite a bit on several beaches including sapphire beach, Coki point, brewer's bay, and several beaches on St John. All of these are white sand beaches with a predominant ecosystem of sargasso interspersed with rock/coral outcroppings. Visibility was excellent- once you cleared the initial 20 feet of sargassam which has plagued the island by washing ashore for many years. The locals do clean the beaches daily and harvest the sargassam as fertilizer, but you should expect it to be a near constant compainion if you visit during the summer. Notably, St John had very little sargassum- I believe this is due to positioning and currents.

All of these beaches are worth visiting, however I strongly recommend a trip to brewer's bay which is managed by the local university and is a protected sea turtle environment, I likely saw 40 turtles during that snorkel trip, it simply has to be experienced to be believed. Admission to brewer's bay is free, scuba is prohibited but you are permitted to snorkel so long as you don't bother the turtles.

-Notably Coki Point does offer scuba shore dives, I recommend agains this as it is esssentially white sand as far out as you can reasonably go. Snorkeling is sufficient here. (My parents did their first scuba dive here and it convinced them that there was no benefit to diving vs snorkeling because of how barren it was)

St John:

I recommend spending a day visiting St John, we took the redhook ferry to get there. St John is notably less developed and has some of the most picturesque beaches I've seen. There are also hiking options for the bold, although it can be easy to get lost. The port of entry for the ferry features several decent (and expensive) restaurants. Cabs have fixed prices and they do not tolerate negotiation on them, the ferry can transport your vehicle if you have rented one. While all the beaches are excellent in st John Trunk Bay is a worthwhile visit, albeit somewhat tragic. The beach itself is pristine and considered amongst the most beautiful in the world- however the once famous reef, a protected national park services location, is in dire condition. When I look back at my childhood excursions to St Thomas I still remember how vibrant and alive this reef was- it's a shame to see it as it is now. We did not scuba off of st John. As a warning many of these beaches have no lifeguards, resulting in my having to rescue a swimmer in distress while at Trunk Bay.

Ancillary

Due to our mixed diver/nondiver composition we did several additional thins on-island. A stand out event was sunfari adventrures, a local/expat run jeep tour which gave us a very good view of the island and took us to many of my favorite locations as listed above. I would recommend it if you are looking to branch out from diving during the trip.

We did have a hurricane scare the day before leaving, and we appeared to beat out the storm by about a day. This is part of the risk of traveling to the caribbean in august.

Overall

Our trip to the USVI was an excellent vacation in which we engaged in some average to above average diving. I would say that environmentally belize and cozumel both have more viable reefs, with cozumel being the more economical choice of the three. This is to no fault of red hook dive center, which took us to several locations that were impressive but struggling, based on seeing these areas as well as the shore snorkeling we did and comparing it to my memories of ~20 years ago I think the reefs took quite a hit across the board. I do think that the wildlife and reef health was superior at diving versus shore snorkeling depths- with trunk bay being the most tragic example of this. If you are going with a mixed group on your vacation St Thomas is not a bad choice, as it affords divers the opportunity to dive in conditions at least equivalent to key largo but has diverse nondiving options and beaches for nondivers to spend the day. My Gestalt is that this destination likely compares more favorably with vacation first dive second locations such as the Dominican Republic and Jamaica, based only on accounts of diving at those locations, rather than to internationally famous dive sites.

Thank you for the report. I am traveling to St. Thomas the end of next month with my girlfriend. It is our first visit. The last couple years I have taken scuba focused trips in February. I was planning to do so again this year but last year my girlfriend was kind of bored in Roatan so we decided to go to St. Thomas. I have been going back and forth on whether to bring my gear and dive. I have been in contact with Red Hook Dive Center and was told that in the winter they only dive the southern sites. It sounds like you went to the southern sites based on your description of the rock formations. I guess these were the Cow and Calf sites? I am just not sure if it is worth bringing my gear for maybe 2 or 3 days of morning 2 tank dives.

Also thanks for the other information. I had originally planned to use taxis even though my brother and stepfather who have been to St. Thomas many times said to rent a car. I just didn't want the hassle but after talking to the Dive Center person I reserved a rental for the week. Apparently I can take it on the ferry to St. John too.

Renting a vehicle is probably what I would do next time, although the roads are challenging and the situation is worsened by left hand driving combined with american exported vehicles,
A good point that I don't see mentioned often -- same issue we had in St. Croix -- left hand driving coupled with American vehicles (whose headlights are aimed slightly to the right) can make for some pretty difficult night driving (combined with curvy roads that often did not have any lines or reflectors on them).

Great report, thanks for sharing!

Thank you for the report. I am traveling to St. Thomas the end of next month with my girlfriend. It is our first visit. The last couple years I have taken scuba focused trips in February. I was planning to do so again this year but last year my girlfriend was kind of bored in Roatan so we decided to go to St. Thomas. I have been going back and forth on whether to bring my gear and dive. I have been in contact with Red Hook Dive Center and was told that in the winter they only dive the southern sites. It sounds like you went to the southern sites based on your description of the rock formations. I guess these were the Cow and Calf sites? I am just not sure if it is worth bringing my gear for maybe 2 or 3 days of morning 2 tank dives.

Also thanks for the other information. I had originally planned to use taxis even though my brother and stepfather who have been to St. Thomas many times said to rent a car. I just didn't want the hassle but after talking to the Dive Center person I reserved a rental for the week. Apparently I can take it on the ferry to St. John too.

Glad its given you some actionable info. I would rent if I went back unless I was doing a ton more dives. Of what I did brewers bay is the must see. The amount of turtles is simply incredible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom