Trip Report Casa Mexicana & Jungle Divers Macro Hunting May 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the report.

I will be visiting Cozumel for the first time in October, solo, and was planning to stay at Casa Mexicana. Seems ideal for a solo traveler who likes options.
You'd be in walking distance from a bunch of good bars and restaurants; that's for sure a plus. A hotel with a pier on the water would be a bit more convenient for diving, but it's not that big a deal.

You'd be in walking distance from a bunch of good bars and restaurants; that's for sure a plus. A hotel with a pier on the water would be a bit more convenient for diving, but it's not that big a deal.

Indeed. Thanks.

It's kinda funny. for 5 nights, Casa Mexicana costs me about 600$CDN after taxes, including breakfast obviously. OR...
For 830$ I can be at the occidental all inclusive.

Now, it's just me. I'm meeting up with the rest of my family in Orlando after, so I really just want to eat, sleep and dive. I'm still leaning towards Casa Mexicana (two great dive shops right around the corner) and I prefer great food and drinks over LOTS of food and drinks. But having a beach is nice for the soul and so is not having to bring a wallet out. I've got 5 months to figure it out :hah

Indeed. Thanks.

It's kinda funny. for 5 nights, Casa Mexicana costs me about 600$CDN after taxes, including breakfast obviously. OR...
For 830$ I can be at the occidental all inclusive.

Now, it's just me. I'm meeting up with the rest of my family in Orlando after, so I really just want to eat, sleep and dive. I'm still leaning towards Casa Mexicana (two great dive shops right around the corner) and I prefer great food and drinks over LOTS of food and drinks. But having a beach is nice for the soul and so is not having to bring a wallet out. I've got 5 months to figure it out :hah
For something in between in several senses of the word, check out Blue Angel.

Thanks for the report.

I will be visiting Cozumel for the first time in October, solo, and was planning to stay at Casa Mexicana. Seems ideal for a solo traveler who likes options.
I'm a solo traveler as well and Casa Mexicana did me right on my last trip to Cozumel in November after a long absence from the island. Of course diving comes first, then for me I really enjoy good food, like really enjoy. CM location is in easy walking distance of many good restaurants. The breakfast buffet at CM is convenient and good for breakfast. I dove with Aldora who picks up at the pier just kitty corner to CM and was an excellent operator. No beach no biggie, after 2 dives in the morning I wanna get lunch have a nap then chill with my ocean view room and then walk to a nice dinner and drinks.

I'm a solo traveler as well and Casa Mexicana did me right on my last trip to Cozumel in November after a long absence from the island. Of course diving comes first, then for me I really enjoy good food, like really enjoy. CM location is in easy walking distance of many good restaurants. The breakfast buffet at CM is convenient and good for breakfast. I dove with Aldora who picks up at the pier just kitty corner to CM and was an excellent operator. No beach no biggie, after 2 dives in the morning I wanna get lunch have a nap then chill with my ocean view room and then walk to a nice dinner and drinks.
I'm solo traveler as well. Agree with everything you said. I don't drink alcohol so being not all-inclusive doesn't matter to me,
Included breakfast is good (omelettes, fresh fruit, waffles...) and convenient before heading out.
Boat pickup literally across the street is very nice

Staying at an AI would be more relaxing in that you don't have to meet the boat, it comes to you. You get at least an extra hour to sleep or enjoy the mornings and have a leisurely breakfast while the boat comes to pick you up.
The beach is right there and you can enjoy early mornings by the water.
breakfast is right there etc.
If you use the dive up at the hotel you will return to shore between dives to grab a bite.
Some of the hotel dive ops have options for afternoon dives as well.
There are pros and cons to both staying in town and staying at an AI.
You can always go to town in the evening

I'll be doing exactly this in early July.

Kimela,
Really enjoyed your report with links to your YouTube hotel review and underwater photos!
What was that white at 1:10 on the reef? eggs of some sort?
Sweet seahorse shot! Terrific find of white dwarf frogfish too!
Thanks for taking the time to share...I miss the island and underwater!!!!

FWIW it's like that at just about any hotel that has a pier, not just the AI resorts.

One difference she touched on was being way south as most AI's, you get picked up later and dropped off earlier than those departing the marina or piers like at BA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom