Snorkel - anyone still wear theirs diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aahh the never ending debate of the snorkel.

Andrew mentioned above he has one for sale. Don't sell it. Carry it with you on the boat. You don't have to dive with it. You never know when something appears near the boat and all the cylinders have been used. You can alway's hop in the water with mask, fins and snorkel.

I've found if you watch your airsupply and manage it properly it works better to breathe off my reg while surface swimming in rough conditions than using a snorkel.

There are many who have their snorkels on their mask when diving. A good example are Instructor's and DM's (but not alway's) while teaching a class. Standards require snorkels, at least in o/w classes. Tech classes don't for very good reasons.

This will be a never ending debate. The best solution is to make a decsion for yourself and stick with it.

Salaam

Chris

I put the snorkel in my pocket for safe keeping and sometimes I use it to hit the fish or other divers :)

No , first cause its not black ( left over from my forst gear set ) second casue its not needed.

Someone said debate - I don't see any debate. I see unanimous agreement. snorkel goes in the dive bag.

ps. not really for sale - that was sarcasm

Not much debate because this is one of the beat-to-death topics.

Agency standards exist due to an accumulation of best practices. There are plenty of examples in the Accidents and Incidents forum where at the end of the day you can trace things to not following fundamental training.

For the majority of people, recreational open water diving, there's nothing inherently wrong or evil to a snorkel. If you're doing wreck penetration or caving,fine, but most of us aren't doing that. If you have certain gear configurations where a snorkel does indeed make life bad, super, it's reasonable to share why your gear configuration makes this standard piece of equipment bad, but realize that it doesn't apply to the majority of divers.

Andrew Richardson:
Someone said debate - I don't see any debate. I see unanimous agreement. snorkel goes in the dive bag.

ps. not really for sale - that was sarcasm
or on the strap of your mask :crafty:

Snorkels...hummmm..Well debate this...

Snorkels are for snorkeling...:D

Snorkels are used in OW classes to teach new divers how to use a snorkel..:D

Snorkels are used to beat the fish and other non friendly divers...:wink:

Snorkels are used or can be used as a means of providing rescue breathes in the event of rough water to a rescue victim...

Snorkles are VERY bad when going into an overhead environment!

I carry a snorkel which is foldable and is stowed into a pocket depending on whom and where I am diving.

So generally snorkel stays in the dive bag.

Snorkels can be used to suck down a cold beverage after the dive day is done!!!!..:D

Stephen

Snorkels evolved as an important safety item in the days before BC's. Surface swims were very difficult without a snorkel with no positive buoyancy.

Oh BTW...using a snorkel for mouth to mouth...it won't work very well with snorkels that have drains

I've found if you watch your airsupply and manage it properly it works better to breathe off my reg while surface swimming in rough conditions than using a snorkel.

You are all SO wrong.

besides, I don't watch my air, so I cannot afford to fake myself out by diving with a huffed down tank.

Oh...and if you are adrift? Go ahead and ridicule the snorkel. The noble snorkel is highly underappreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom