Snorkel - anyone still wear theirs diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had to wear our snorkels for our rescue class recently, and I couldn't wait to rip mine off my head! I found it was constantly getting tangled in my inflator hose, I kept grabbing it instead of my inflator, and it dragged my mask down so I was constantly adjusting it to keep water out.

If I feel conditions warrant having a snorkel on a charter, I carry a folding one.

Depends on conditions. In rough sea, I always wear one. I've been in situations where I'm waiting on the tender to pick me up with high waves/current and used up my air on the surface, would have been suffering without. I find it much easier to lay my face in the water instead of struggling with salt water smashing into my nose. Also, if there's a chance to see cool stuff on the surface interval I keep it on too so that I can quickly hop in the water. (if it's ok with the divemaster)
If neither of the above I take it off and stow it.

Some of the divers I know have always worn one and are very comfortable with them. There is no reason not to wear one in most recreational situations.

Diver Dennis:
Some of the divers I know have always worn one and are very comfortable with them. There is no reason not to wear one in most recreational situations.

Thank you Dennis.

Diver Dennis:
Would agree, but I always have one - and use it on most dives.. old habit..hate to waste air, so even if I am just going to the front of the boat to go down, I use a snorkle...

I find the snorkle attached to the mask is only an issue when packing stuff.. as it makes putting the mask away in a safe place a bit more difficult...

Oh, but ice diving... don't really need one there..

Diver Dennis:

Agreed

I wear mine and it comes in handy for mostly shore diving. Buddy's who do not wear one miss the sights below as we swim out to a drop point. That or they blow off valuable bottom time swimming out on tank air.

If I was diving in an enviornment where it would be useless or even a real hazzard I'd leave it leave it in a heartbeat.

Pete

I wear one. My thinking:

1.) I'm still fairly new & it's recommended equipment.

2.) I'm a large fellow & go through air fast; if I can stay off the regulator another 5 or 10 minutes swimming out to where we're dropping down for the dive, great.

3.) Nice for breathing at the surface in choppy water.

4.) Nice for swimming face-in-water across the surface, & looking at stuff, instead of keeping my face out of the water (especially in the ocean).

5.) When I'm not using it, I hardly notice it. Unless I forget it's in my mouth instead of the reg., submerge & wonder why I can't breathe...

Richard.

The only time I did not wear a snorkle was when working out of an underwater habitat. And even then it felt so wierd to be without it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom