Knee issue while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When learning diagnostic skills in medical school I was taught that when you hear hoof beats in the woods you don't think of zebras.

Find your nearest scuba instructor and have him/her write you a prescription for a dive scooter.

You might try modifying your Mares fins to a scoop fin design. Your avanti quattro fins have a dead spot just beyond the toes, which increases the load on the knee. I've worked on this concept for decades, and the scoop design is more efficient than a straight blade, or even the Quatro design. You need to replace the center of the fin with a flexible interior, which at the toe is straight across, but then goes to a full semicircle design at the end of the fin. This "scoops" the water out the back of the fin, and reduces a lot of the strain on the knee. You can see the difference on the Voit Viking fins I modified in the 1970s. You can see the number of fins I've evaluated over the years (and that photo is not complete). If you need more information, PM me.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Avanti-Scoop & JetFin.jpg
    Avanti-Scoop & JetFin.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Viking with Scoop Fin Mod.jpg
    Viking with Scoop Fin Mod.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Viking Mod-1.jpg
    Viking Mod-1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 8
  • Viking Mod-3.jpg