Snorkel - anyone still wear theirs diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't dive with one attached to my mask, but have a collapsible one in a pocket if needed.

catherine96821:
You are all SO wrong.

besides, I don't watch my air, so I cannot afford to fake myself out by diving with a huffed down tank.

Oh...and if you are adrift? Go ahead and ridicule the snorkel. The noble snorkel is highly underappreciated.
very, very true Catherine. In the PI we were diving on a windy, choppy day, the conditions were rough, the waves made my reg free flow a few time, tank completely emptied, the boat was trying very hard to get to us without running us over, the DM was freaking because he knew I had no air left, (I saw him scoping out my ditchable weight pouches) but I had my snorkel, and it came in very handy to get back to the boat when it was approaching as best as it could. If you don't want to wear a snorkel, fine, but I have used mine in enough situations to see its value.

I usually have my snorkel with me. If I'm going to be waiting on the surface for awhile I like to be able to look down into the water or if I have a surface swim it's nice to have so I don't have to suck air from my tank. But when I do dive without a snorkel it's usually in my bag on the boat. I can snap it right onto or off of my mask strap so I can wait to the last second before deciding to take it or not.

Personally I'm partial to the foldable snorkel in a pocket. I hate a snorkel on the side of my head when i'm not using it.

I got the idea from TSandM to attach mine with the bike tubing on my harness shoulder webbing. I love it. I wonder if she can still do that, DIR and all?

TexasZR2:
I have not worn my snorkel since finishing my OW dives - except while snorkeling. The type of diving I do does not dictate having it. If I had long surface swims, I would carry a foldable one in a pocket.
The DM on the boat this morning pulled a foldable snorkel out of his BCD pocket when he needed to do a bit of surface swimming to veryify the location of a dive spot. He always carries a snorkel after being adrift with 6 others for 5 hours on a very windy day a few years ago. He didn't have one that day, but after breathing in a lot of spray, he really wished he had one. So it's in his pocket for every dive.

Conditions off Maui today were such that I had a snorkel in my pocket for the 2 dives we did before the third dive of a planned 3 tank trip was canceled due to a combination of high wind and wind waves.

catherine96821:
I got the idea from TSandM to attach mine with the bike tubing on my harness shoulder webbing. I love it. I wonder if she can still do that, DIR and all?

It would be difficult with a backup light on each of the straps.

catherine96821:
I got the idea from TSandM to attach mine with the bike tubing on my harness shoulder webbing. I love it.

Hi Catherine,

How exactily does this work? Is that for like storage, and you grab it when you want it?

Back
Top Bottom