Snorkel - anyone still wear theirs diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrew Richardson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Snorkels - does anyone wear theirs diving? If so, when & why?

I am still diligently wearing mine but realizing that no one else is. In addition, I am finding it a total pain and always in the way.

Andrew

It makes it difficult to wear your mask on your forehead.

Yes.

It definitely depends on the dive. I have an Aqualung flexible snorkel, it doesn't get in my way overall, and rolls up into a little holder in my BC pocket if I want to remove it.

Handy for looking at da fish at the end of a dive, or if I have a surface swim.

The Only Time I Use It Is Shore Diving Where A Long Surface Swim Is Needed; Any Other Time It Just Seems To Get In The Way.

Some folks don't wear one and they don't need one. Cave diving is a good example where they are not needed and can get hung up, etc. I use one a lot. I recommend a snorkel as it can be a lifesaver when diving in rough water or where there is possibility for choppy conditions. I have had to swim in rough seas to make it back to a boat. On my back I could breath all right but when I rolled over facedown to use other muscle groups in my legs. I needed the snorkel to breath properly as the seas had whitecaps and otherwise would have swallowed a lot of water. The other divers I was with ended up using air from their regs. After a while they were on empty tanks and weren't able to keep up the pace. I made it back to the boat as a direct result of having a snorkel that allowed me to switch from swimming on my back to swimming facedown. Folks that dont like a snorkel in such conditions should bungee one to their backplate or get a rollup snorkel. If conditions get rough they can be a necessary piece of gear.

I don't wear one for two reasons.

1. I would get in the way of deploying my long hose in an OOA situation.
2. It can be a pain when swiming in current. Mask can flood.
3. If the conditions are rough I would rather be on my back gas.
4. Other than snorkeling - I don't have a use for it.

Diver Dennis:
It makes it difficult to wear your mask on your forehead.
not exactly true,
and there have been several occasions I'm glad I had mine, just remember to switch to your reg before descending :)

When conditions call for it. Makes it a tad easier on long surface swims, especially if there is a bit of chop. I am constantly diving in different conditions. So I always have my snorkel. Granted for most conditions, I leave it in the bag. However, sometimes, I think it makes things easier. So yes I do use it, and am not ashamed to say so :winky:

Wow, I think this is the first time I have seen this question get so far w/o someone essentially saying they were too cool for one :yelclap:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom