Slow loading and............

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are still only running on two of three web servers at the moment... Once the third apache server is back online, there should be even faster page loads.

And projected date for that is ????

Hopefully today.

Since you are receiving extremely long wait times which are unexplained, I can't say that having our third server will help you.

Very slow at home with Safari on my Mac, very slow at work with Firefox. Cleared my cookies and cache too, no change. All aspects of the site are slow, including posting/replies. Sometimes it takes several minutes so I just open another tab and surf elsewhere while waiting. This has been on and off for a couple of weeks but the last 2 days have been steadily going downhill with speed. I can wait seconds, not minutes.

For me... Since I kicked the other server last night, it's less than 3 seconds for everything. Can't explain your problem, as all server indications show clear (low CPU and memory usage), fast (handling requests in nano seconds), and plenty of bandwidth available on the server to world side.

According to Alexa, we are 2.282 seconds for average page load. Which is still slow by their definition, but compared to the 3.5 seconds we were at 60 days ago, it's a marked improvement in my book. This is the first time in my recollection that we've moved markedly down in average page load time according to an extremely reliable source.

Individual problems could possibly be poor ISP performance or other local computer issues which I can't fix for those users.

-- The only POSSIBLE explanation I can surmise is this:

-- When I reconfigured our load balancer to include the server that was removed from the mix for a few days... That possibly DNS caches on random ISP's is causing latency with locating the servers? I really don't even know if this is possible. But I DID reconfigure both of our Load Balancers last night when I added the 3rd front end web server back into the "mix"

Average daily traffic is up considerably, and our page load speed is noted as going down significantly. I don't believe that I can further address these isolated problems that can't be replicated by me (the admin)

Howard, I am sharing information in hopes that this issue can be resolved wherever the problem is which is unknown. I will give you further information if it helps.

Work computer(s) are PC based and use Firefox and the ISP is a DSL through Verizon.

Home computer(s) use Safari and are newer, Macbook Pros and the ISP is Xfinity (Comcast) cable.

Both locations have the same problem, both locations are in different cities. I am using 2 different computer systems, Mac & PC, 2 different browsers and 2 different ISPs with the same results. Loading this page to see your post took almost 5 full minutes. Again, I cleared both my cache and cookies to all sites and also tried Firefox from my Mac with again, the same result.

I do not have this problem with other sites that I frequent, others around the country have expressed issues with the speed of this site so maybe it is a propagation issue? I have no idea. What I do know is that the problem is legitimate and needs to be resolved in one way or another.

I feel your pain because I too run a Vbulletin based forum and had this same complaint and could not understand why everything looked good on our end. In the end, I moved to a single server in a new location and have never heard a peep from anyone since.

I know this is quite a large forum so I recently went to a much larger forum that is also Vbulletin based and have no issues there. As a matter of fact it is probably a bit faster than my own. Offtopic.com is a very large forum that uses Vbulletin and has over 145,731,638 posts and well over 235,000 registered members. Whatever they are doing is working.

A few years ago, a local company started getting complaints about access to their website and it was specific to a few ISPs. They ended up moving servers because there was a connection problem between their new server and a few ISPs. Not sure how you are set up but there is an issue at some level that is legit. I hope this helps in a a constructive way.

Not sure if this adds any clarity, but I seem to be getting lots of '504 errors' today. Other sites are loading as per normal, but SB keeps missing the cut.

FYI..All pages on SB are taking several minutes to load, I will try again tomorrow. I also have the same problem at home, I have cable DSL at home and four bundled T-1's at work. I am having no issues with any other site's.

Well I can report that it takes well over a minute to load anything today from the Scuba board site.

Last edited:
I can say a couple people have texted me saying they were staying away until it is fixed (assuming it does not take long). I am a lucky one and am not experiencing anything more than I had already decided to tolerate as SB normal.

If you are having issues with Slow Loading, please follow these simple directions:

Toss your Cookies!
(clear your history)

Most all issues can be resolved by doing this simple task. If we changed anything since your last visit your stored cache may very well be producing conflicts and causing the slow load. There are some issues induced by recently unsupported browsers (IE on an XP machine) and we really have no control over that. Its a certainty that you will be encountering even more problems as the various sites you frequent update their software.

As pointed out earlier, Alexa.com shows that our average load time is now only 2.282 seconds as opposed to 4.864 seconds it was BEFORE the upgrade. We were at 3.841 as little as just a month ago, and we will continue to try to make additional progress in terms of speed. Our 9 servers are being hosted at a data center that is using three major backbones. We currently have NO limits on throughput and our server loads are low. We are planning at least two more updates in the coming weeks, so if your performance suddenly decreases, remember to TOSS YOUR COOKIES.

So you know ahead of time, most of ScubaBoard's technical staff will be busy at DEMA through Monday. We may not be able to respond in a timely manner should a problem arise. Please be patient with us as we do our jobs here at DEMA.​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom