Slotted screwdriver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best functioning valve is a Beauchat...not so comfortable to carry.

I think it depends on which Beuchat Valve.? If you are referring to the chunky one with the offset rear mounted (as opposed to side mounted) hand wheel, they had huge valve spindle issues, the things just sheared off at the head constantly, even if you didnt apply much torque to the handwheel, and, as you say difficult if not nigh impossible to carry.

Where possible, I prefer fitting a tank handle to a cylinder to carry it, although its easy on a steel cylinder as it has a neck, I know, on most Aluminium cylinders its difficult or almost impossible.

When you are dealing with 30 tanks, fastening handles to the tanks is not really practical, and unfortunately neither are steel tanks in general because the boots like to go missing or get knocked off kilter.

IME the handles end up slipping off the neck when being slung around, too.

Sherwood was a good valve for carrying too, but you don't really see them around much anymore.

The problem with Genesis is they use different everything: Knobs, spindles, burst disks, etc. But if you can choose to have them on all your tanks, that problem is not as much of a big deal.

Sherwood was a good valve for carrying too, but you don't really see them around much anymore.

This is true here as well, but Sherwood valves (here anyway) are substantially more expensive than all the other manufacturers, and treble the price of the generic ones.

Good valves I admit, for carrying and operation, but the initial cost factor here, and even the repair kit are very expensive, this puts them right out of the market as most people, even the commercial schools will rather buy a generic valve, replace it twice if necessary and still have a small saving on the Sherwood.

Attachments

• f0a853da-bb31-4012-bc2e-45c4f8ca0001_300.jpg
    f0a853da-bb31-4012-bc2e-45c4f8ca0001_300.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I found this from GUE's website:

Knobs should be spring loaded and soft with a metal insert so they do not strip out - no metal knobs. Metal dents and will lock off or on, and are hard to turn in a pinch. Burst ports would contain higher working pressure plugs, and be changed often.

So I guess GUE does not like Genesis valves. Or OMS's, since they have hard plastic knobs at least on the single outlet valves.

(I could not find anything on DiveRiteExpress's site, though.)

ALthough in playing with the Genesis valve, it seems like they would be far less likely to strip out anyway since the locknut and stem design makes it near impossible to not tighten the knob down, which makes stripping the knob near impossible because it cannot be on the shoulder of the squared out part.

Beano...

Perhaps I was thinking about the GUI site....this is from the Dive Rite Express site:

Handwheel

The nearly indestructible handwheel is made from soft rubber formed around a stainless steel insert. The stainless steel insert ensures positive operation with long-lasting life. The large ribs make it easy to open or close the valve even while wearing gloves. The rubber with stainless steel insert handwheel design is the preferred choice of cave divers. The black handwheel is standard, and an optional green handwheel is available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom