Info Teric straps have changed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the plastic buckle he's referring to is the one in your photo.

I'm thinking that was in relation to these new clips mentioned earlier in the thread. (below)

If the Snap Clips on this teric strap come off then I have bigger issues to worry about as they are basically identical to the clips on my integrated weights, BP+Wing harness, etc. That is a robust and time-tested fastener that is not likely to fail.

1719861190370.png

I'm thinking that was in relation to these new clips mentioned earlier in the thread. (below)

If the Snap Clips on this teric strap come off then I have bigger issues to worry about as they are basically identical to the clips on my integrated weights, BP+Wing harness, etc. That is a robust and time-tested fastener that is not likely to fail.

View attachment 848853

No, he's right. I'm talking about the Quick Release buckle, not those two clips that hook onto the pin straps.

I've seen Petrel/Perdix computers with a broken one of those QR buckles. They're plastic. I think they are even subject to degrading and getting brittle over time, when exposed to enough sun/ozone/UV/fuel fumes/etc.. They are certainly not as strong as the bottom of a scuba cylinder....

I said it's a small risk that one would break - but it's a much bigger risk than breaking a NATO strap or both strap pins.

No, he's right. I'm talking about the Quick Release buckle, not those two clips that hook onto the pin straps.

I've seen Petrel/Perdix computers with a broken one of those QR buckles. They're plastic. I think they are even subject to degrading and getting brittle over time, when exposed to enough sun/ozone/UV/fuel fumes/etc.. They are certainly not as strong as the bottom of a scuba cylinder....

I said it's a small risk that one would break - but it's a much bigger risk than breaking a NATO strap or both strap pins.
I wear a Nato strap every day on my wristwatch. I like how it looks and works. For a dive computer it is a pain in the butt. I typically remove it after every dive, 2-4 times a day. I tried a long Nato strap on the teric and did not like it. The elastic or bungie is a far better solution, especially in my typical drysuit kit.

If I were concerned about the ninth set of plastic clips on my gear (weights, BC, lanyard, fins) I would just sew the elastic loop closed. It's still a better solution. The clip is not the primary point of utility, the elasticity is.

@inquis - thanks. I found orange in stock at CountyComm last week. I HATE orange. I would rather stick with the Shearwater elastic strap and run the small risk of a plastic buckle failure than wear an orange strap. :D

I got this one, and it comes only in black:

I got this one, and it comes only in black:
Perfect! Thank you!

Careful - it’s $36 USD plus shipping from the UK :)

Yes. I saw that. I went all the way through checkout to confirm price with shipping.

I very much appreciate you sharing the link to that. But, yeah, for that much, I would probably just spend the extra to support Ben Lair's shop and order it from Paragon.

Back
Top Bottom