Info Teric straps have changed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garmin has updated theirs, that looks like the previous style and wouldn’t shock me if Garmin straps would fit. The new Garmin still work with older straps.
I think I actually tried it, fitting the Garmin bungee option on the Shearwater.

What I do remember for certain was trying to fit the Shearwater silicone straps on my Garmin, Shearwaters feel is so nice. But it doesn’t quite fit, the silicone is slightly larger, the mechanism fits just fine.

Thanks! I was just curious if my $2 bungie strap solution would still work with the redesign.

Yes, I don’t think the computer body or strap pins have changed at all.

I dived with my new Teric today.

I can now confirm that the longer silicone strap is not long enough for me to wear over my 5mm wetsuit. Not even really close.

I have to admit I’m kind of disappointed. And as far as I can see there is no option for a longer QR strap. So, for me, my only option is the Remora elastic strap that came with it - which I also don’t like because it’s one plastic buckle failure away from losing my computer.

Pretty sad that the “irreplaceable” part of losing my old Teric is that a 17” NATO strap went with it and the strap is what I can’t find a replacement for.

Got a free sample quick strap from the Shearwater rep in Bonaire. Have to give it a try.

I dived with my new Teric today.

I can now confirm that the longer silicone strap is not long enough for me to wear over my 5mm wetsuit. Not even really close.

I have to admit I’m kind of disappointed. And as far as I can see there is no option for a longer QR strap. So, for me, my only option is the Remora elastic strap that came with it - which I also don’t like because it’s one plastic buckle failure away from losing my computer.

Pretty sad that the “irreplaceable” part of losing my old Teric is that a 17” NATO strap went with it and the strap is what I can’t find a replacement for.
Can’t you just use the NATO with the bars on the watch, no need for QR with it, just pull it out. It’s a bit perplexing that they aren’t offering a standard strap extension as they used to.

Can’t you just use the NATO with the bars on the watch, no need for QR with it, just pull it out. It’s a bit perplexing that they aren’t offering a standard strap extension as they used to.

Yes, you can still use a NATO strap. And if I can find another black 17" NATO strap, I will probably switch back to that.

It's a bit perplexing to me that they give two different silicone straps for different lengths - in the box - and the longest one is still not long enough for a normal-sized man wearing a 5mm wetsuit. I mean, what the heck?!

And, as far as I can tell, they don't even make a longer one that you can buy. I would guess you can buy the extension strap that used to come with it and use it with the new silicone strap, but who wants to use an extension strap?

Further clarification/disclaimer:

The Shearwater page for the Teric says "What's In The Box?" and lists the Remora band that is installed on the computer, and the short Remora band.

It does not mention that it comes with the Remora elastic strap.

It is possible that the Remora elastic strap does not come with a standard Teric, so don't blame me (or Shearwater) if you buy a Teric and that is not in the box. My new Teric is Shearwater's "Professional" model. Maybe that is why the elastic strap was also in the package. A nice perk, but maybe not included in the regular Teric packages.

The Professional model is exactly the same as the regular Teric, except that it has the word "Professional" on the lower part of the bezel and it is available at a lower cost to dive pros (i.e. Divemaster or Instructor) who provide proof to Shearwater of active teaching status. You may also have to be a pro that is affiliated with a shop that is a Shearwater Authorized Demo Center - which my shop is. I know there was something about being an ADC in the paperwork I had to fill out. Not sure, as I didn't pay too much attention to the fine print, since I knew we are an ADC.

Yes, you can still use a NATO strap. And if I can find another black 17" NATO strap, I will probably switch back to that.

It's a bit perplexing to me that they give two different silicone straps for different lengths - in the box - and the longest one is still not long enough for a normal-sized man wearing a 5mm wetsuit. I mean, what the heck?!

And, as far as I can tell, they don't even make a longer one that you can buy. I would guess you can buy the extension strap that used to come with it and use it with the new silicone strap, but who wants to use an extension strap?
I've always been able to find what I want at Watch Bands & Straps | World Wide Delivery | CNS Watch Bands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom