Slotted screwdriver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most people make their own. If you have that much issue (with toolology) with making one just buy a wide blade driver from Sears and mail it to me, I will cut the slot in about 5 seconds and mail it back.

N

Most people make their own. If you have that much issue (with toolology) with making one just buy a wide blade driver from Sears and mail it to me, I will cut the slot in about 5 seconds and mail it back.

N

It would be faster if you bought the screwdriver and mailed it to him COD. :wink:

The more you tighten the nut, the more torque you are putting on the stem o-ring, and thus the more turning force required to turn the handle.

Itighten mine till the stem is above the nut by about 1 to 2 threads.

Jim breslin

No valve I have ever worked on can you put too much pressure on the stem O ring by tightening the hand wheel nut. The spring under the nut puts tension on the stem. The nut should be tightened to the end of the threads on the stem or the stem is flush with the top of the nut and the spring will supply the needed tension on the stem.

Since we seem to be on valves, any feedback on the long term use of Genesis valves? I want the rental fleet to have nothing but them for ease of carrying, but none of the places I worked had any of them to see how they lasted.

I do like the locknut to attach the handwheel thing too.

I'm not a big fan of Genesis valves -- they tend to be on/off valves. Sherwood 5000 k-valves seem to turn off/on much slower so you have more control over the valve, possibly leading to longer HP-seat life in your regs. Just an idea though.

Thermo valves are also nice if you can get your hands on those.

With all that being said we have Genesis valves on all the Al80s at school and they've all lasted just fine with no rebuilds (to my knowledge anyway) for 3-4 years of continued use in the pool.

If you do not want to use a standard screwdriver and grind a slot in it, go to the hardware store and get a tack puller. It looks like a cross between a screw driver and a claw hammer. No need to unbend it, just use it as it is.

Having said that, for $5, I like the wrench in the picture posted by Sparticle Brane.

c

The only weak point on Genesis valves is the hand wheel does not have a metal insert and it is possible to round out the square hole if over tightened. They are very off or on as a previous poster said.
As someone who has to carry allot of tanks the best valve is the one that is the most comfortable to grip when lugging tanks....Sherwood, Thermo and Genesis are all good with top marks to Genesis.
The best functioning valve is a Beauchat...not so comfortable to carry.

The only weak point on Genesis valves is the hand wheel does not have a metal insert

!!! That is a shock. I thought everyone had those in these days.

Thanks for the heads up.

Although having said that, what would be the drawback of not having a metal insert though? My first response when I read your post was surprise, but now I cannot decide if not having a metal insert matters.

!!! That is a shock. I thought everyone had those in these days.

Thanks for the heads up.

Although having said that, what would be the drawback of not having a metal insert though? My first response when I read your post was surprise, but now I cannot decide if not having a metal insert matters.

Diveriteexpress has a great parts breakdown and explains the rational behind the metal insert. In fact their site is loaded with tips on all sorts of diving equipment issues. I have been to their shop in the Lauderdale area and I can honestly say that the staff is very knowledgeable and helpful.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/gas/thermo.shtml

couv

I found this from GUE's website:

Knobs should be spring loaded and soft with a metal insert so they do not strip out - no metal knobs. Metal dents and will lock off or on, and are hard to turn in a pinch. Burst ports would contain higher working pressure plugs, and be changed often.

So I guess GUE does not like Genesis valves. Or OMS's, since they have hard plastic knobs at least on the single outlet valves.

(I could not find anything on DiveRiteExpress's site, though.)

ALthough in playing with the Genesis valve, it seems like they would be far less likely to strip out anyway since the locknut and stem design makes it near impossible to not tighten the knob down, which makes stripping the knob near impossible because it cannot be on the shoulder of the squared out part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom